Aymeric Laporte

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the form thing, I think most people are overlooking the fact that the impact Valverde had on his career's trajectory, Ziganda isn't the same influence hence the slight dip in form. He's still their most important defender from what I gather.

On the second chance argument, why is everyone speculating on what happened, what was situation of the player and everything when he decided to back off. And we don't know how and why they decided to discuss the transfer again. So unless everything becomes clear to public, it's pretty naive to bash the player and Txiki for not sticking to their word.

Don't think his form has gone downhill as much as people here might suggest this year. Statistically at least, he's performing in line with career norms, and in some cases (particularly defensively) exceeding them. Just he isn't suited to Bilbao's style of play at all. This was compounded when Valverde exited.

He's a Pep CB through-and-through, and if Barcelona and a reunion with Valverde isn't an option (and Samuel Umtiti ensures it isn't) there's only one place he can really go to develop.
On the face of it, seems a better option than JFE?

He is younger, taller and I assume faster? If he meets Pep's strict requirements for control, passing etc and his attitude is spot on, should be a better investment?

I did notice that his "market value" on transfermarkt hasn't gone up since euro25m in Feb 2016, which is unusual.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/aymeric-laporte/profil/spieler/176553

I know he broke his ankle shortly after that, but I would have expected it to have risen since his recovery.

Last edited:
100 percent cannot see him coming in jan . This guy will not play outside of Spain I don’t think . Would love him at city as he is quality but think he will go Barca or Madrid . Like to test the water with minimum fee release clause though

I've never listened to it to be honest - might give it a try as I'm always on the lookout for a good podcast to listen to whilst driving (makes the commute a little less dull).

Yeah give it a listen. The transfer specials are really good (there's one out today) and the Marti Perenau interviews every 6 months or so are great for an insight into Pep and what's going on inside the club.

Its quite admirable that Sam Lee - a old toilet fan - can be quite reputable and spot on sometimes (bar Alves story). I favor his comments over loads of others.
What was he wrong about? Dani Alves agreed to join us. The club even had his announcement planned in America. He changed his mind at the last minute.

On the face of it, seems a better option than JFE?

JFE is a solid, boringly reliable 6.5-7/10 CB who will consistently perform at that level, making him decent for squad depth but nothing more. Pep will improve him, but his ceiling and floor aren't too far apart.

Laporte is a long term, say potentially 10 years, partner to John Stones at CB who already outperforms the former in terms of what is expected from a Guardiola player in the position. One would expect him to rotate not too infrequently with Otamendi or come on, ala Bernardo Silva, later on the game to keep him fresh. He's a future starter and another piece in the puzzle of young talent being stockpiled and trained under Pep, with an eye for sustained dominance.

I'd say the two aren't mutually exclusive, but I don't see any need for JFE if we bring in Laporte. JFE is a more consistent and considerably more divisive Mangala who is nothing more than a temporary plugin til we can find and get a Laporte.

Not going to get my hopes up but if we pull this one off (along with Fred), we'll have an unbelievable squad. Maybe only a back left back short, although Delph, Fred, Zinchenko and Laporte could all cover there and maybe an attacker short. Not sure on the foreign quota either but we'd have a great squad.

Last edited:
100 percent cannot see him coming in jan . This guy will not play outside of Spain I don’t think . Would love him at city as he is quality but think he will go Barca or Madrid . Like to test the water with minimum fee release clause though
Why would he not play out of Spain? He doesn't seem to mind playing for France.

I know this is probably a daft question.. but where exactly is Sam Lee getting his information from? He sounds too informed for it to be total guesswork, has he got Txiki's direct dial or something?

Looking from the outside, I think Sam has worked hard to cultivate his sources and stay in favour with City. He'll get access to all sorts of people connected with the club through his work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.