Barcelona Information Thread

jrb said:
Anyone.

How far in distance and time(walking/Bus/Metro) is the old town from Ramblas and the centre of Barcelona? Would the old town be classed as roughly the city centre? Looking at a Hotel in the old town.

I've also been looking at Hotels in the El Born district.

Any district suggestions would be welcome.

TBH I don't really want to be messing about with buses, Metro, etc at first. Happy to walk about and find my way around. Once I get the feel of the city centre, then I'll start going out a bit further.

Thanks again.

The Old Town (Ciutat Vella) is the centre of Barcelona and includes Las Ramblas.
It also includes the Gothic Quarter (Barri Gotic) which you might be referring to, which is on one side of Las Ramblas, so the walk is 1-15 mins from Las Ramblas depending on how deep into the Quarter you want to go.
El Born is a little further from Las Ramblas in the same direction as the Gothic Quarter, probably 15-20 min walk from Las Ramblas - the area of Born is alternative and 'trendy', you could compare it to our Nothern Quarter. Bars will show less football in that area but have great food and drinks at reasonable prices (I recommend the aptly named La Hacienda, a Mexican food/drink place highly).

For the cheapest and best quality food/drinks AVOID LAS RAMBLAS like the Plague - you will pay an arm and a leg there for S***.

Places I recommend for enjoying the culture, cuisine, drinks and that don't cost the earth:
- Manchester Bar (two locations, Barri Gotic (Carrer Milans, 5) and Raval/Universitat area (Carrer Valldonzella, 40)) - serves local beers, cocktails - bottles are €1 before 11pm

- Restaurant Elisabets (Raval - Carrer d'Elisabets, 2) - some the BEST tapas I found in the City - get the patatas bravas (potatoes with spicy tomato sauce), pan con tomate (bread rubbed with garlic and tomato), tortilla espanola (spanish omlette - potato and onion omlette), patatas con carne (patatas bravas but with bolognese style sauce on), and many others - be adventureous!

- Belushi's (Universitat - Carrer Bergara, 3) - a chain bar/youth hostel company - drinks are cheap, they show sports, pool table, ping pong, good pub grub/fry ups if that's what you want - if I remember rightly house spirits and mixers are 2 for €5 before 10pm - could also be a great place to stay, not sure of accommodation prices

- La Flauta (Universitat - Carrer d'Aribau, 23) - a tapas-style sit down restaurant, relatively good value for money - good for groups

- The George Payne Irish Bar (Urquinaona - Placa d'Urquinaona, 5) - does what it says on the tin, it's an Irish Bar - serves all your tipples from home; has a mezzanine floor - one big projector screen and about 6 other plasma screens - shows all live sport on Sky Sports UK & Spanish TV - serves pub food and breakfast fry-ups
Could be a great place to watch the game if you don't have a ticket - but get there early

- Chupitos Espit (Eixample/Balmes - Carrer d'Aribau, 77) - a shot bar - a list of over 100 shots on the wall, all cost €2/€3 - a great place to head on a night out

There are many more - depending on your preferences - those are more night out/tapas snack orientated

If anyone wants any more advice on where to stay / eat / drink / watch the game / sights to see / getting around just drop me a PM
(there can be some ways so save a few quid with local 'know-how' and not getting sucked in by the tourist poachers around Las Ramblas/Placa Catalunya)
A bit of background, I lived and studied in Barcelona for 10 months (Sept-June) last year and I am a big City fan who unfortunately can't afford the trip so would like to pass on some knowledge to those that are going so (hopefully) you have a safe and enjoyable time without breaking the bank or ending up with your passport/wallet knicked! Barcelona gets a lot of bad press re: pickpockets and muggers - I was mugged once and never once pickpocketed during my 10 months, yet many tourists become victims over a few days/week whilst on holiday - just use common sense and don't slip into 'I'm on holiday' mode when travelling about - keep possessions hidden away - try not to look at maps and stop in places with high foot-fall (THAT IS A BIG GIVEAWAY to criminals that you are a tourist and don't know where you are and so they spot you as vulnerable) try and plan your movements before you head out to the main tourist spots!

As I said, anything else PM me
and sorry to jrb for the long post! - I did answer your questions and saw it as a chance to tell others too!

zabman92 said:
jrb said:
Anyone.

How far in distance and time(walking/Bus/Metro) is the old town from Ramblas and the centre of Barcelona? Would the old town be classed as roughly the city centre? Looking at a Hotel in the old town.

TBH I don't really want to be messing about with buses, Metro, etc at first. Happy to walk about and find my way around. Once I get the feel of the city centre, then I'll start going out a bit further.

Thanks again.

The Old Town (Ciutat Vella) is the centre of Barcelona and includes Las Ramblas.
It also includes the Gothic Quarter (Barri Gotic) which you might be referring to, which is on one side of Las Ramblas, so the walk is 1-15 mins from Las Ramblas depending on how deep into the Quarter you want to go.
El Born is a little further from Las Ramblas in the same direction as the Gothic Quarter, probably 15-20 min walk from Las Ramblas - the area of Born is alternative and 'trendy', you could compare it to our Nothern Quarter. Bars will show less football in that area but have great food and drinks at reasonable prices (I recommend the aptly named La Hacienda, a Mexican food/drink place highly).

For the cheapest and best quality food/drinks AVOID LAS RAMBLAS like the Plague - you will pay an arm and a leg there for S***.

Places I recommend for enjoying the culture, cuisine, drinks and that don't cost the earth:
- Manchester Bar (two locations, Barri Gotic (Carrer Milans, 5) and Raval/Universitat area (Carrer Valldonzella, 40)) - serves local beers, cocktails - bottles are €1 before 11pm

- Restaurant Elisabets (Raval - Carrer d'Elisabets, 2) - some the BEST tapas I found in the City - get the patatas bravas (potatoes with spicy tomato sauce), pan con tomate (bread rubbed with garlic and tomato), tortilla espanola (spanish omlette - potato and onion omlette), patatas con carne (patatas bravas but with bolognese style sauce on), and many others - be adventureous!

- Belushi's (Universitat - Carrer Bergara, 3) - a chain bar/youth hostel company - drinks are cheap, they show sports, pool table, ping pong, good pub grub/fry ups if that's what you want - if I remember rightly house spirits and mixers are 2 for €5 before 10pm - could also be a great place to stay, not sure of accommodation prices

- La Flauta (Universitat - Carrer d'Aribau, 23) - a tapas-style sit down restaurant, relatively good value for money - good for groups

- The George Payne Irish Bar (Urquinaona - Placa d'Urquinaona, 5) - does what it says on the tin, it's an Irish Bar - serves all your tipples from home; has a mezzanine floor - one big projector screen and about 6 other plasma screens - shows all live sport on Sky Sports UK & Spanish TV - serves pub food and breakfast fry-ups
Could be a great place to watch the game if you don't have a ticket - but get there early

- Chupitos Espit (Eixample/Balmes - Carrer d'Aribau, 77) - a shot bar - a list of over 100 shots on the wall, all cost €2/€3 - a great place to head on a night out

There are many more - depending on your preferences - those are more night out/tapas snack orientated

If anyone wants any more advice on where to stay / eat / drink / watch the game / sights to see / getting around just drop me a PM
(there can be some ways so save a few quid with local 'know-how' and not getting sucked in by the tourists poachers around Las Ramblas/Placa Catalunya)ndyc
A bit of background, I lived and studied in Barcelona for 10 months (Sept-June) last year and I am a big City fan who unfortunately can't afford the trip so would like to pass on some knowledge to those that are going so (hopefully) you have a safe and enjoyable time without breaking the bank or ending up with your passport/wallet knicked! Barcelona gets a lot of bad press re: pickpockets and muggers - I was mugged once and never once pickpocketed during my 10 months, yet many tourists become victims over a few days/week whilst on holiday - just use aacommon sense and don't slip into 'I'm on holiday' mode when travelling about - keep possessions hidden away - try not to look at maps and stop in places with high foot-fall (THAT IS A BIG GIVEAWAY to criminals that you are a tourist and don't know where you are and so they spot you as vulnerable) try and plan your movements before you head out to the main tourist spots!

and sorry to jrb for the long post! - I did answer your questions and saw it as a chance to tell others too!

What a brilliant post. A really handy pocket guide. El born sounds great for the night before the game.

Thanks a lot

Didsbury Dave said:
zabman92 said:
jrb said:
Anyone.

Thanks again.

(there can be some ways so save a few quid with local 'know-how' and not getting sucked in by the tourists poachers around Las Ramblas/Placa Catalunya)ndyc
A bit of background, I lived and studied in Barcelona for 10 months (Sept-June) last year and I am a big City fan who unfortunately can't afford the trip so would like to pass on some knowledge to those that are going so (hopefully) you have a safe and enjoyable time without breaking the bank or ending up with your passport/wallet knicked! Barcelona gets a lot of bad press re: pickpockets and muggers - I was mugged once and never once pickpocketed during my 10 months, yet many tourists become victims over a few days/week whilst on holiday - just use aacommon sense and don't slip into 'I'm on holiday' mode when travelling about - keep possessions hidden away - try not to look at maps and stop in places with high foot-fall (THAT IS A BIG GIVEAWAY to criminals that you are a tourist and don't know where you are and so they spot you as vulnerable) try and plan your movements before you head out to the main tourist spots!

What a brilliant post. A really handy pocket guide. El born sounds great for the night before the game.

Thanks a lot

Stayed in the El Born region for the recent Barca V Espanyol game. Great area with a friendly vibe and away from the mither and pester you get around the Ramblas. Not really a place for gangs of lads but for a chilled out drink it is spot on.

Also it is only 15 mins (max) walk from the Ramblas and the Irish pubs around that area.

Barcelona is a City of thieves. You won't get far down the Ramblas without being stopped by someone for any reason. Don't carry Money, Passport, Mobile or anything valuable in unzipped pockets. Best of Luck!!!

berryblue said:
Barcelona is a City of thieves. You won't get far down the Ramblas without being stopped by someone for any reason. Don't carry Money, Passport, Mobile or anything valuable in unzipped pockets. Best of Luck!!!

SLIGHT exaggeration
There are many (foreign) thieves in Barcelona, just like London, Paris, Madrid and other touristy cities! The main thing is to not let your hair do so much that you forget common sense and try not to stick out like a sore thumb by reading large maps in busy areas and by carrying large rucksacks around!
Of course, keep all valuables in hard to access pockets and if you can, leave them in a safe at your hotel.

I would advise everyone to take two photocopies of their passport - one to carry around in your wallet and one to keep in your suitcase should you lose the other two and need to get home/prove who you are to the consulate!

jonmcity said:
staying near Plaza Cataluña, in the H10 Casanova hotel. where are we all going for a beer? we need to find a cheep bar like the €2 a pint in Madrid, anyone know a candidate?

Any place that looks local will sell bottles of Estrella and/or San Miguel for €1-€2
Also worth trying 'Moritz' another beer brewed in Barcelona.

Nearby, about 5 mins walk, there is the aptly named Manchester Bar on Carrer Valldonzella, off Carrer Joaquin Costa.
In there you get bottles of Estrella for €1 before 11pm.
Carrer Joaquin Costa is teeming with great bars with drinks at great prices
Follow the street to the end and hit Raval, where all bars tend to be good value too
I recommend Bar Absenta on Carrer de l'Hospital, too (San Miguel bottles €1 until midnight).

mpk said:
el born area really good for pre match drinks. can walk there from ramblas. great bars & not touristy

Better off going to Sants / Les Corts areas for pre-match drinks
Born is the wrong direction from Las Ramblas.

There are loads of bars on Avenida Madrid and some good ones on Carrer Sants near Placa de Sants metro

kippaxkid said:
Im hoping to get tickets , but my mate whos coming along for the trip wont have one , any recommendations where he can watch the match very close to the ground , so he can jump on the return coach hopefully mac is putting on.

Any bar! The majority have TVs with the sports channels and he will be made welcome by locals!
Best trying ones on Carrer Comandant Benitez/Travessera de Les Corts

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.