Basel (H) Post Match Thread

I agree in regards Leroy,but Laporte most certainly did not.

He was hesitant,half hearted and looked nervous for much of the game,he didn't warrant anything better than 6/10 for his performance.

Bernardo Silva is much more deserving of such praise,he was busy as well as a constant threat.

Agree completely. Bernardo was close to exquisite first half, which made his disappearance after the break somewhat surprising

That result will probably do them good. For the first time I saw a little complacency from a few players. Pep will be onto them big time.
That could also be the last time we see Yaya in a blue shirt.

Considering the entire reason Pep is here is to elevate us to that level and there's absolutely no domestic competition at the moment, I think frequent comparisons to Real and Barcelona not only can be done, but should be done.
Fair point, but imo Pep's view is the correct one, not yours. I also think that booing & criticising individuals so harshly, under the circumstances of last nights defeat, doesn't help build team or players' confidence.

Last edited:
I'll tell you who cares, around 47000 City fans who paid to watch
How do we know anyone would have been injured! But the fact is, it was a heartless performance by a number of very highly paid players who should have been extremely motivated to give the manager a selection headache for Stoke
To be fair the first 45 mins were ok from our point of view in terms of effort.
My point is at the end of the day the result was irrelevant and it was much more important to avoid injury to key players. Playing a second string team achieved the latter.
Let’s face it, we all know bar Sane and Silva none of those who took the field would make Pep’s starting 11.
In all honesty fans who went last night should not be surprised by what happened given the result in the first leg. It was always going to be a dead rubber....

That result will probably do them good. For the first time I saw a little complacency from a few players. Pep will be onto them big time.
That could also be the last time we see Yaya in a blue shirt.

He’ll get the last 20 mins in the last home game to wave goodbye

And then come on in the last 5 mins of the CL
Final and score the winning pen in the shoot out v the Rags with his last ever kick in a city shirt

I agree in regards Leroy,but Laporte most certainly did not.

He was hesitant,half hearted and looked nervous for much of the game,he didn't warrant anything better than 6/10 for his performance.

Bernardo Silva is much more deserving of such praise,he was busy as well as a constant threat.
Laporte will need time to settle in. New country, different language, new team mates, new coach, new league etc etc mean lots of adjustments.
You can’t just expect the guy to slot in and deliver faultless performances from the start.
Last night’s game was an ideal situation in allowing him gametime in a relatively low pressure environment.
I thought he did ok last night bar getting caught out pressing immensely high up the pitch for their first goal. He will need to learn when not to do that (I recall several instances when Otamendi did the same last season)
He looked v composed (more than Stones) and made some very good strong tackles.
I am confident he will turn out to be a pivotal player over the coming seasons.

Laporte will need time to settle in. New country, different language, new team mates, new coach, new league etc etc mean lots of adjustments.
You can’t just expect the guy to slot in and deliver faultless performances from the start.
Last night’s game was an ideal situation in allowing him gametime in a relatively low pressure environment.
I thought he did ok last night bar getting caught out pressing immensely high up the pitch for their first goal. He will need to learn when not to do that (I recall several instances when Otamendi did the same last season)
He looked v composed (more than Stones) and made some very good strong tackles.
I am confident he will turn out to be a pivotal player over the coming seasons.
He was also very weak/half hearted when it came to their second goal.

Your point about adaptation is an obvious one,and the lad does need time to settle in before any reasonable judgement on his purchase should be made.Just to add though.....i'd never seen him play prior to him arriving here,however,the incredible hype suggested we were buying an aggressive,no nonsense,technically efficient/forward thinking,ball playing centre half.
In time,that is the player i expect to be watching.

He was also very weak/half hearted when it came to their second goal.

Your point about adaptation is an obvious one,and the lad does need time to settle in before any reasonable judgement on his purchase should be made.Just to add though.....i'd never seen him play prior to him arriving here,however,the incredible hype suggested we were buying an aggressive,no nonsense,technically efficient/forward thinking,ball playing centre half.
In time,that is the player i expect to be watching.
I have deliberately been watching this guy since Pep tried to sign him last year and every time I have seen him playing for Bilbao he has been very impressive. He reminds me of Gerard Pique and if he turns out as good as that I will be more than happy!

I have deliberately been watching this guy since Pep tried to sign him last year and every time I have seen him playing for Bilbao he has been very impressive. He reminds me of Gerard Pique and if he turns out as good as that I will be more than happy!
Awesome,as will i.

I see Basel has been charged for the flares/fireworks. Not surprised really, right in front of the coppers as well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.