Bayern Munich (A) | Post Match Thread

You obviously saw a different game to me, I saw a team playing exactly the way it should have played given the circumstances, defensively!

Part for the reason we have been knocked out of this competition before is we go out and playing all gung ho, and suffer the consequences, I was more than happy with the way we set up last night because it delivered what it needed to without nerves being shredded
I wouldn't even say we played defensively, we played smartly which we've failed to do in the past.

We did the hard graft in Manchester, so this match was about maintaining our concentration, not conceding & taking our chances.

The onus was on Bayern, & City couldn't have played it better. We were defensively solid, & whilst Bayern knew they had to go for it, they knew they'd run the risk of us clinically ripping them a new arsehole.

As you say, it was a brilliant performance, which was all about the result, & City delivered... )(

No shame in saying Bayern played better than us and no shame in saying on another night city could have got knocked out. The way I see it is simple. Ripped them a new one at home by taking our chances and defended like animals in both legs. Munich are a top team. It’s about time we won ugly in this competition. I hope it continues when needed against Madrid.
City managed that game perfectly.
Rarely slipping out of 2nd gear. Conserving energy. Defended brilliantly.
Superb tactics by Pep.

Don't believe the hype, we are nowhere near previous levels.

Timing is everything and we may just have it on our side, but ignore the hype train.

We got a chasing last night, certainly first half and were let off the hook.

Dias and Bernie had to compensate for some very below-par showings from Ake, Gundo, Kev and Rodri.

Still huge games to come in between and would have preferred Madrid at home for first leg, like Bayern, try and wipe them out.

No away goal means that whole playing home second is no advantage.
"Chasing" may be a tad strong .

I couldn't disagree more with this. Last night's performance showed that we're ready to win this competition. It's completely unrealistic to expect us to dominate games against Bayern Munich. But we showed grit and determination on top of our skill and control.

Have a look at Bayern's record at home and in the Champions League. It was the draw no one wanted and we have come out on top!

Very harsh to say those players performed below-par. Sometimes you just come up against world class players.

Last season, everyone said Real Madrid couldn't keep playing badly and winning. But they went on and won the thing. No one remembers their performances.

City have grown up.

Very much this. Bayern are an excellent side missing a striker. They play possession football, they press well and have real pace out wide. In Coman, Sané and Gnabry they have brilliant wingers. Kimmich, Musiala and Goretzka are excellent in midfield. Thankfully Upmecano was dreadful over both legs but Bayern were a very good side.

I genuinely believed that they were the best side left in the competition (bar ourselves) when the draw was made. Nothing over the two legs changed my mind.

I fancy usagainst Real if we can get the balance right on the flanks. Last year we destroyed Real at times but our weaknesses in full back positions kept them in the tie. The fact that the second leg was away last time meant the home crowd kept Real going.

If we can keep our best players fit we should beat Real.

Liew in the Guardian: “Instead, it is clubs such as City who are today’s establishment: imperious, institutionally secure, financially omnipotent. There is a treble there for the taking and it would be weirdly poetic if they did so by conquering Arsenal and Manchester United at home, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid and Milan in Europe: a roll-call of Europe’s legacy clubs, all bowing to the coming force.”

Liew is such a twat.

City threatening the "legacy" clubs who achieved greatness with honest toil and tuppence ha'penny.

1 - Real, Milan, Inter and City are left. And we are the ones who are feared.
2 - There was a point where if you'd told me that I'd be dreading an injury to Nathan Ake I'd have thought that you were on glue.
3 - I have a belief in the Law of Averages, so Drawing this match is a strange relief to me as I'd felt that our winning streak had to wobble at some point and this was a good place for it.
4 - Likewise with Erling's missed pen. If he had to miss one, this was the one.
5 - We owe Real a beating. We were superior to them in both legs last year.

Hahahaha I said exactly the same as points 3 and 4 to my mate straight after the final whistle last night

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.