Bell, Lee and Summerbee statue | Unveiled (pg19)

Gary
While we are on the subject of names ,i dont know if you are aware of the new housing development on the old Hyde rd site ?
It would be very fitting to name some streets ,after some Hyde rd players ,not unlike the footballers estate in Moss side
just a thought.

When I wrote a comic novel (Atkinson For England written with Mark Brown) about football in early 2000s we created a rundown hotel in the story that was dedicated to MCFC owned by superfan Dave Bayley (we merged the names of fanzine editors Dave Wallace and Noel Bayley) we had lots of MCFC injokes (such as a food menu with items like Donachie Baps; the hotel reception Bell being called Colin; the telephone was in a Booth called Tommy etc.). We also named the rooms after key City folklore so we had the Royle Suite, the Alan Ball Basement; Room 10-1 and so on. They should do the same for the new hotel. Everything should be a pun.

Years later Hotel Football opened with an actual menu that used MUFC names, so our comic novel was closer to the truth than we'd expected!

The statue looks amazing but I have one minor issue. It shows Colin Bell about to kick the ball with his left foot although he was predominantly right footed.

The statue looks amazing but I have one minor issue. It shows Colin Bell about to kick the ball with his left foot although he was predominantly right footed.
Should have had Buzzer elbowing Chopper Harris as he ran past him.

I remember a game at the Bridge when they were at it hammer and tongs all game, afterwards they continued it outside the main entrance. Those were the days.

Well done, City, now we have six ex players given the accolade of statues outside the Etihad stadium, but, let us not forget others who have proved to be City “champions” in the past. I am sure that we could all provide a list of those who have, over the past 100+ years, cemented the club as one of the best in England (and the football world). For myself, Bert Trautmann (I know about the statue inside the west entrance) and Tony Book are at the top of my list. Tony Book has been a successful player, captain, manager, president of the supporter’s club and now elder statesman at City. Surely, this needs to be recognised?

Well done, City, now we have six ex players given the accolade of statues outside the Etihad stadium, but, let us not forget others who have proved to be City “champions” in the past. I am sure that we could all provide a list of those who have, over the past 100+ years, cemented the club as one of the best in England (and the football world). For myself, Bert Trautmann (I know about the statue inside the west entrance) and Tony Book are at the top of my list. Tony Book has been a successful player, captain, manager, president of the supporter’s club and now elder statesman at City. Surely, this needs to be recognised?
No more statues for a while now. Six is more than enough. We have probably more statues than any other football club I can think of now. Any more and it will start to become cheesy and also devalue the meaning and the presence of the existing statues.

No more statues for a while now. Six is more than enough. We have probably more statues than any other football club I can think of now. Any more and it will start to become cheesy and also devalue the meaning and the presence of the existing statues.
Pep will be next, I suspect.

Reactions: PPT

Nah I won't 100 of them

Reactions: PPT
Rags have been trying to erect the Maguire statue for the last fortnight.

images

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.