Best City away performances? (pre takeover)

Newcastle 1968, Champions!
Spurs 3-4, with 10 men. Barton, of course, the culprit
Leeds 1-2 cup 1978. Leeds fans tried to get the game abandoned @0-2. Police horses on the pitch. A terrific performance by a City side that should have won more.

I'm going to go with the win at the eventual champions Blackburn during the 94/95 season.

Arguably the best City performance of the 1990's imo.

Got arrested at that match. Ran on pitch when we “scored” (Paul Walsh I think) only to find out, in the cells, that it’d been disallowed. Thrown out at 4am, got a lift off fellow blues who’d been nicked to Palatine Rd and walked into town to arrive back home at half six in the morning. Back in court three weeks later: £120 fine. Worth every penny.

some of my faves include several at QPR for a variety of reasons:

2-1 away at QPR with 9 men.
4-3 away at QPR in league cup
3-1 away at QPR Hendry, White and Ward I think, Kendall finally got us turning the tide against relegation
2-1 away at QPR in FA cup (White and Vonk)

Other favourite away trips:

Brentford in FA cup, 1-0 win
Villa 5-1, Villa 2-1 Reid, Ward
Norwich 2-1 White, Quinn
Huddersfield 2-2 cup, one of maddest celebrations ever for Gidman.
2-0 at Newcastle in league cup when we were expected to be massacred. Rosler and Walsh.
1-0 southampton stefan karl
2-1 at Bristol Rovers in league cup, Ricky Holden late winner

The season in the third div saw some memorable trips, faves for me:

Colchester, Gillingham, Darlington in the cup and, of course…York.

3-0 away to Sunderland the day before the takeover. SWP scored twice on his first game back and I remember walking away from the game thinking we could be in for a very good season...

50th Munich anniversary for me. Had been working in Dublin the week before and all I was getting off the local rags was that we would disrespect the minute silence.

I must admit I thought there would be a few Blues that would let the side down but on the day we were brilliant and the players were brilliant.

Nice touch from their tannoy as we were leaving to thank us for our impeccable behaviour.

Ipswich in fa cu semi final 1981, villa away 5-1,
Was that the 3-3 draw, power cuts in force so the game kicked off at 2-ish and half the City coaches didn't get there in time for KO. I went into the first turnstile I came to which turned out to be their Kop just as Frannie scored the free-kick, kept quiet for the rest of the game as there was a nasty-looking crew of skinheads stood nearby. Lots of City fans were scattered around in small groups on the Kop that day.

On topic, it's got to be the Spurs Cup comeback, a crazy night even by City's standards although that 4-2 win at Bradford to end what seemed like an eternity (well, 34 games) without an away win in the league is also up there.

as I'm from Donny I went into the kop and you can see me jumping up and down when we scored

Lots of crackers already mentioned. Luton @ the swamp in the cup replay replay was a good night. 2-nil down then we started to play!

Villa away early in season, old division 1 on a Wednesday night in August 1978 (?) and we won 4-1. Dennis Tueart scored a hat trick.
Villa were a really strong team at the time, Andy Gray, Brian Little etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.