Blue or white collar?

Aphex said:
It's quite an easy question

Do you actually produce items of saleable value, or do you make a profit off the sale of said item?

But what do you make of those of us who turn people into items of more 'saleable value?'

gazhinio said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
After 18 years of being at the heart of the white collar world I have spent the last three years doing a (relatively well paid and skilled) blue collar job.

My time in that role is coming to an end as I return to my former world again in September, but I have quite enjoyed the experience in the main as I have re-built my life over the last few years. It was borne out of necessity when my business went tits up three and a half years ago. My parents have always taught me the value of hard work and I have never been out of work in my life so I took the opportunity to do this job when it came along and it's been a godsend tbh.

For someone who's always considered himself to be smarter than the average bear it's not something I would have wanted to do for ever, but I'm not so up myself that I considered it beneath me. I have friends who have also lost their businesses in the last few years who are scared of getting their hands dirty and being seen to be demeaning themselves. They really need to get over themselves.

At the works Christmas do, some of my fellow workers were slagging off one of the directors, making reference to his upbringing and background. When I pointed out to them that my upbringing was, in fact, very similar to his they refused to believe me, which I actually took as a huge compliment. I've always been a man of the people ;-) What that does show is that the old divisions between white and blue collar are still there, although less than they used to be, I reckon.

What will I miss? A pint after a day of toil always tastes much, much better than one after a day sat at a desk. Oh, and not having to fucking shave every day.

Are you going to get a butler again when your back in business?

Only if we can travel the country together as a pair of homo-erotic murder mystery sleuths. I can see a Channel 5 series in the making.

gazhinio said:
After 18 years of being at the heart of the white collar world I have spent the last three years doing a (relatively well paid and skilled) blue collar job.

My time in that role is coming to an end as I return to my former world again in September, but I have quite enjoyed the experience in the main as I have re-built my life over the last few years. It was borne out of necessity when my business went tits up three and a half years ago. My parents have always taught me the value of hard work and I have never been out of work in my life so I took the opportunity to do this job when it came along and it's been a godsend tbh.

For someone who's always considered himself to be smarter than the average bear it's not something I would have wanted to do for ever, but I'm not so up myself that I considered it beneath me. I have friends who have also lost their businesses in the last few years who are scared of getting their hands dirty and being seen to be demeaning themselves. They really need to get over themselves.

At the works Christmas do, some of my fellow workers were slagging off one of the directors, making reference to his upbringing and background. When I pointed out to them that my upbringing was, in fact, very similar to his they refused to believe me, which I actually took as a huge compliment. I've always been a man of the people ;-) What that does show is that the old divisions between white and blue collar are still there, although less than they used to be, I reckon.

What will I miss? A pint after a day of toil always tastes much, much better than one after a day sat at a desk. Oh, and not having to fucking shave every day.

Only if we can travel the country together as a pair of homo-erotic murder mystery sleuths. I can see a Channel 5 series in the making.

No, because if you remember correctly, I feel physically sick when I speak to you!

gazhinio said:
gazhinio said:

No, because if you remember correctly, I feel physically sick when I speak to you!

Don't flatter yourself. I was talking about me and the butler ;-)

Jefferson. That's his name. Jefferson. Great name for a butler, that.

What collar am I?
I work in the public sector so don't make money for anyone and I don't manufacture anything.

gazhinio said:

Don't flatter yourself. I was talking about me and the butler ;-)

Jefferson. That's his name. Jefferson. Great name for a butler, that.

Wasn't Thomas Jefferson famous for owning huge numbers of black slaves in his lifetime?
So, I put it to you that you have racist undertones!!
Racist bastard!!!!!

mackenzie said:
Aphex said:

Do you actually produce items of saleable value, or do you make a profit off the sale of said item?

But what do you make of those of us who turn people into items of more 'saleable value?'

I know you work in the jobcentre, so I would say you could probably do a good job if you weren't controlled by red tape.

Aphex said:
mackenzie said:
Aphex said:

I know you work in the jobcentre, so I would say you could probably do a good job if you weren't controlled by red tape.

But does that make me blue or white?

despite the outsourcing and pension robbery white collar jobs are the only way to go for a large part of the working class
despite the loss of so much industry blue collar jobs are the only way to go for a large part of the working class
it's an english trait that shows no sign of ebbing,
working for a multinational company in various places it is so obviously enbedded in the UK as to be incurable.
having been both blue and white, it's only an issue when you come across "attitude", from either side
both sides are split as well, sales and admin, skilled and non-skilled and so on
the lines are blurred in many jobs and trades but fundamentally the old prejudices still hold, and until we all work for foreign firms always will

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.