Bluemoon Angling Thread

What does everyone think of Commercial fisheries ?
Went to Hampton springs on Sunday for a change of scenery. Great days fishing with loads of F1s, carp ,roach, rudd and bream. I have to admit by the end of the day I was a little sick of catching fish. It really is like shooting them in a barrel. I will probably go again, but not sure how people fish them week in week out.

I agree but would caveat that by saying that these over-stocked fisheries provide a much-needed outlet in Winter when the rivers are in flood and you just want to see your tip go round or your float go under.

Our ghillie on the Wye just sent me photos of two dead salmon he found in the shallows on our beat :(

thats not a (choke) spinner on the end of your line is it mate?
Get a tups indispensable on.
When I'm fishing out of my kayak there's not room for a fly rod, so I use a short 'Ugly stick' with an assortment of lures, including spinners. I do have some tups lookalikes, I'll sample quite a few different varieties. Fishing is finally starting to get hot, Stone flies are happening right now with the mighty Salmon flies due any day, South Fork here we come !
Right now the Henry's Fork is where it's all happening, haven't had a chance to get up there yet this year

When I'm fishing out of my kayak there's not room for a fly rod, so I use a short 'Ugly stick' with an assortment of lures, including spinners. I do have some tups lookalikes, I'll sample quite a few different varieties. Fishing is finally starting to get hot, Stone flies are happening right now with the mighty Salmon flies due any day, South Fork here we come !
Right now the Henry's Fork is where it's all happening, haven't had a chance to get up there yet this year
Sounds brilliant. You are at least two months behind us. Our best part of the season is April May then July and August are tough. Sept Oct usually ok again. Fly casting might rock your kayak a bit much right enough. You want to stay dry. I’m past 100 for this season so far which includes at least 5 brownies over 5lb. Unfortunately I can’t claim that they were wild (albeit they did seem a little peeved when I hooked them). Have a great season mate.

Sounds brilliant. You are at least two months behind us. Our best part of the season is April May then July and August are tough. Sept Oct usually ok again. Fly casting might rock your kayak a bit much right enough. You want to stay dry. I’m past 100 for this season so far which includes at least 5 brownies over 5lb. Unfortunately I can’t claim that they were wild (albeit they did seem a little peeved when I hooked them). Have a great season mate.

Ha ha ! Just seen your post of 17 June in the "birds" thread about the Merlin app.

Went to Hampton springs on Sunday for a change of scenery. Great days fishing with loads of F1s, carp ,roach, rudd and bream. I have to admit by the end of the day I was a little sick of catching fish. It really is like shooting them in a barrel. I will probably go again, but not sure how people fish them week in week out.
They serve a purpose but they are expensive and boring. I packed in fishing them because it was too easy if that makes sense . So many rules and bait limits and a lot of stuff goes on , that’s from a match anglers perspective ! Much more at home with natural venues , the fishing is more difficult but more rewarding and far more skill required imho .

I think commercials are great because they keep most of the numpties off the rivers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.