Bowel cancer screening 'invite'

ob

I posted in April I collapsed with diverticulitis and had to have emergency keyhole surgery, then major complications which included collapsed lung coming out of theatre and MRSA. Was on HDU for 2 weeks and told could take up to 6 months to recover.

3 weeks ago started doing shorter hours at work - alternate day in office, day working from home. Last week did first full week in office. After having CT scan and colonoscopy in last 3 weeks was told end of last week need major operation to remove the damaged bit of bowel asap. Was gutted as thought on road back to recovery, got my head round that it's better in long term as they said could have major issues with bowel again if don't have the op.

Letter this morning from hospital 'inviting' me for bowel cancer screening in couple weeks.

Anyone else had the screening and/or know what it entails

I posted in April I collapsed with diverticulitis and had to have emergency keyhole surgery, then major complications which included collapsed lung coming out of theatre and MRSA. Was on HDU for 2 weeks and told could take up to 6 months to recover.

3 weeks ago started doing shorter hours at work - alternate day in office, day working from home. Last week did first full week in office. After having CT scan and colonoscopy in last 3 weeks was told end of last week need major operation to remove the damaged bit of bowel asap. Was gutted as thought on road back to recovery, got my head round that it's better in long term as they said could have major issues with bowel again if don't have the op.

Letter this morning from hospital 'inviting' me for bowel cancer screening in couple weeks.

Anyone else had the screening and/or know what it entails
I had the screening in January. Take an enema on the morning, then go in to hospital for colonoscopy (I think). It involves a camera up your back passage, and you can see on screen what's up there. Nothing unusual for me.

It is a bit uncomfortable. There were three nurses in the room for mine, so it was a bit humiliating at first, but they covered me up well, so not too embarrassing.

It was worth having, just to get the all clear in my case.

A work colleague has had it done recently. He had a camera stuck up his arse. Now at this moment, you may be imagining the full Dynorod treatment and a direct link to a BBC outside broadcast unit with a load of trainee doctors standing round watching as you get violated, but apparently it's nothing like that.

He had a relatively small diameter endoscope inserted. A slight discomfort, but I'd imagine nowhere near what you have already experienced. The whole process took no longer than 30 minutes.

Had camera test couple weeks ago mate then CT scan in which they inflated my bowel with carbon dioxide (I think), looking to see if there was a hole in colon or bowel wall, they said it was fine, couldn't understand why sending me again, as had all the issues I intend to go but just wondered if anything different to camera test, hadn't told my family about major operation yet and now got this as well

Cheers glad you got all clear Eli

Hopefully it'll just be a precaution. Have a chat to them if you want more info.

Keep us all updated, OB.

Sounds like it's just a co-incidence this letter,you have all the tests and they have been looking at your bowels in surgery and you can be checked more than that,call them if you are unsure but you are going back in for more surgey on your bowel and have had the tests 3 weeks ago so you don't need another check,good luck and get well soon hun

Had emergency surgery 18 months ago to havè a large tumor removed. Course of chemo and complications after just getting back something like. Had cameras up my bum and jab eye. Last one up bum on monday they found something strange i could see it took biopsy awaiting results. Just making the most of each day and nit worring.

Had emergency surgery 18 months ago to havè a large tumor removed. Course of chemo and complications after just getting back something like. Had cameras up my bum and jab eye. Last one up bum on monday they found something strange i could see it took biopsy awaiting results. Just making the most of each day and nit worring.
Fingers crossed x

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.