Brentford (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

It’s just a bit of banter by some Twitter knob. But lots seem to think it was real. That’s the trouble with Twitter I guess
think this is more believable judging from Kyle's reaction

Reactions: CC1
Hard to know what to make of the one sloppy goal we seem to gift the opposition every game at the moment.

But otherwise I think we look like we are going up the gears at just the right time. The weird 2-3-4-1 with Walker in midfield and Gvardiol and Bernie on the wings and Kev, Foden and Alvarez all playing between the lines across the pitch is a bit of a headfuck but seems to be for the opposition defence as well. It leaves us a touch more vulnerable on the counterattack than last year but maybe Pep just trusts that formation to get more goals. I don't love it for the CL but it'll be interesting to watch for the rest of the season.

A few months ago, Ben Mee went on to SKY Sports to talk about how best to stop Erling Haaland. His 'approach' was to double-up on the striker. I therefore found it amusing that yesterday, he doubled-up on Haaland at one point, leaving one Brentford defender to cover Foden and Bernardo, thus enabling Phil to score his second goal lol

tAcTics

Thats the thing, you double up on him and you leave other players free, so it's not that simple.

Great tactic if your play a sport where only Haalands goals count, otherwise it's really not a great tactic. In some ways it's worse doubling up on him. Even if you don't double up, he still has get the better of a defender. Surely the odds are better to go that route rather than leaving someome like Foden absolutely free.

The good thing is that this is clearly being highlighted now, so other managers have to choose between giving Haaland more room, which often means you'll get punished, or double up and let other top players waltz into your box unmarked.

That's why he's a huge asset even in games he doesn't score.

Thats the thing, you double up on him and you leave other players free, so it's not that simple.

Great tactic if your play a sport where only Haalands goals count, otherwise it's really not a great tactic. In some ways it's worse doubling up on him. Even if you don't double up, he still has get the better of a defender. Surely the odds are better to go that route rather than leaving someome like Foden absolutely free.

The good thing is that this is clearly being highlighted now, so other managers have to choose between giving Haaland more room, which often means you'll get punished, or double up and let other top players waltz into your box unmarked.

I thought last night was an exceptional demonstration of how well Foden has developed under Pep. He's genuinely excellent at smelling out pockets on the pitch that all of his years of being moved around, and the false 9 season especially, has really honed that skill for him.

Hard to know what to make of the one sloppy goal we seem to gift the opposition every game at the moment.

But otherwise I think we look like we are going up the gears at just the right time. The weird 2-3-4-1 with Walker in midfield and Gvardiol and Bernie on the wings and Kev, Foden and Alvarez all playing between the lines across the pitch is a bit of a headfuck but seems to be for the opposition defence as well. It leaves us a touch more vulnerable on the counterattack than last year but maybe Pep just trusts that formation to get more goals. I don't love it for the CL but it'll be interesting to watch for the rest of the season.
Would be interesting to see the stats on conceding from the opponents 1st shot on target.

Foden immense - but great performances all round. Now to my usual moaning (might start a thread 'Tourists at Away Games'). Last night, I got there quite early and like most London games, was, within half an hour, surrounded by tourists. Rather than just stare at them and be grumpy, I decided to ask them where they were from and where did they get their tickets (in a genuinely friendly way - after all, nothing wrong with wanting to be part of the City family) - my issue isn't with them - it's with loyal fans who can't get tickets as they just miss the point threshold. So, a lovely group of four from Hong Kong told me they paid £320 each on a website (I think its something like onlinefooty.com), two guys from Dubai paid £500 each from someone at the ground and a group of at least 8 from Singapore spent £280 each as part of some overseas trip. Welcome to all them, resplendent in their half and half scarves - and well done to all those fans who managed to make a small fortune selling on their tickets....as for the regulars, some great singing all game and great support.

Foden immense - but great performances all round. Now to my usual moaning (might start a thread 'Tourists at Away Games'). Last night, I got there quite early and like most London games, was, within half an hour, surrounded by tourists. Rather than just stare at them and be grumpy, I decided to ask them where they were from and where did they get their tickets (in a genuinely friendly way - after all, nothing wrong with wanting to be part of the City family) - my issue isn't with them - it's with loyal fans who can't get tickets as they just miss the point threshold. So, a lovely group of four from Hong Kong told me they paid £320 each on a website (I think its something like onlinefooty.com), two guys from Dubai paid £500 each from someone at the ground and a group of at least 8 from Singapore spent £280 each as part of some overseas trip. Welcome to all them, resplendent in their half and half scarves - and well done to all those fans who managed to make a small fortune selling on their tickets....as for the regulars, some great singing all game and great support.
It's the fans that source their tickets from agencies selling day trips that is the biggest issues for me. Why, when away tickets are limited, is the club even giving them to these companies. No wonder the percentage of tickets going to points is nowhere near the 60% promised yet the club continue to deny that they are siphoning off tickets. Give them tickets for home games when we have more to shift, not away games. Chelsea and Arsenal we also surrounded by these 'fans', wonder if it is a London thing.

You double up on Haaland, then you have the likes of De Bruyne, Foden, Bernardo, Alvarez even Rodri likes a raid forward these days. Then all that space opens up for our players to do what they do. Must be a nightmare to play against all that and you spend most of the game chasing after the ball whilst they play triangles round you.

It was really noticeable last night, lots of obvious tourists in half and half scarves and some very expensive clobber. I’m absolutely no fashion expert but two Asian guys stood next to us underneath before the game had Montcler and Canada Goose jackets respectively, and that is pricey stuff. So paying hundreds for a ticket is presumably not a problem. It creates tension, and it obviously did last night, but if these tickets are being sold on by points holding blues to touts or agencies, rather than directly by City, it isn’t really the clubs fault. But who knows for sure.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.