British Bulldog

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
It was deemed to be far too dangerous for the posh boys at Stockport Grammar and was banned with immediate effect,to be replaced by the far more genteel pastime of buggery.

Good old class warrior mentality....

LOL if you think Stockport Grammar is posh I'd love to hear who/what you think is 'common'.

Going along the subject of giving people a deserved kicking, anyone played manhunt/red letter? Now that's a good game!
drool.gif

pee dubyas crayons said:
It was deemed to be far too dangerous for the posh boys at Stockport Grammar and was banned with immediate effect,to be replaced by the far more genteel pastime of buggery.

LOL if you think Stockport Grammar is posh I'd love to hear who/what you think is 'common'.

What on earth are you on about?
I went there,for Gods sake.
I won a free place,otherwise my parents couldn't have afforded the fees.
Do you actually have a point,as I,for one,fail to see it?

pee dubyas crayons said:

So how was the pastime of buggery then?

We play it at Scouts/Cubs. Last night we had 2 bleeding noses, bruised ribs and someone ran into the front wing of my (parked) car leaving a head sized dent - its great fun ;)

pee dubyas crayons said:
pee dubyas crayons said:

So how was the pastime of buggery then?

Bit of a pain in the arse to be honest,mate.
Mind you,they give you lube in the 6th year.

amone said:
Bluebird1 said:
Bluebird1 said:
What sort of game is it?

Nobody's explained to me yet what it is :-(

When we used to play it, on concrete, you had two safe zones with a running area in between, one person was picked to be the bulldog and as everyone ran from one safe zone to the next the bulldog had to grab someone, wrestle them to the ground and pin him down for the count of 3. If he was successful then there would be two bulldogs etc....
My teachers tried to stop injuries and damage to uniforms by playing a tig version, it didn't work! Can be quite dangerous, for both bulldog and runner.

This is how we played it (the old Newbarn juniors in Shaw). It wasn't discouraged. You had to be careful not to run into the brick walls and iron railings which made up the safe areas when you were travelling at full speed to get past the bulldogs. We played Rugby League so perhaps they thought it was a help? Don't recall anyone getting badly hurt. I just remember laughing a lot, it was quite exciting.

The girls played hopscotch, catch, and elastics. Handstands up against the wall were very popular.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.