British Cup > Carling Cup

• Thread starter Deleted member 41424
  • Start date
D D

Deleted member 41424

I've thought it for awhile now, why don't they replace the Carling Cup with a British Cup and have all the teams from the English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh leagues in the same competition?
May mix the competition up a little?

Rangers and Celtic could find their level with fiercely competitive games against Barnsley and Millwall.

cleavers said:
Lets include the conference as well. Shall we start it in May each year, with there being what, about 160 teams involved ?

The Johnstones Paint Trophy, for the 2 lower leagues used to allow the top 10 or so Conference clubs in. They stopped that, possibly because too many Conference sides embarrassed the crappy League sides that were on borrowed time, such as Wrexham, Grimsby, Mansfield etc.

Also, in the 1970s, there was an Anglo-Scottish cup and actually an Anglo Italian Cup too. All this was before the Champions League of course. It was when only Champions were in the European cup so I think it was a way for other clubs to play in Europe.

No it would be better just to scrap the carling cup altogether. The most pointless and boring competition in world football.

They tried an Anglo-Scottish Cup back in the 70s.

It only lasted a couple of season, at the most, IIRC, and I'm not sure why it ended. Probably the extra fixtures and or travelling involved.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.