Building Houses

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
Im on house No 3 now, 2 bungalows and 2 storey over the last 10 years, I employ a builder (Im not one) but I have a lot of input, I really enjoy it and financially its a way of making tax free income

Anybody else doing/done it ?

11693870_10206806856031280_7182073912015460131_n.jpg

11667351_10206806865031505_7826877263209075935_n.jpg

After watching an episode of grand designs or homes under the hammer I'd love to, but in reality I'd be fucking useless and end up with a bit of empty land and an equally empty bank account. If money wasn't much of an issue though I'd definitely have a go.

bank loan/mortgage ?

they cost less to build than they are worth :)

plus we like living in brand new houses

You make it sound so simple. I'm fairly confident that if I gave it a go, I'd end up bankrupt and homeless. I'd do it if I was a builder I reckon or maybe even if I was even able to do a reasonable amount of the less heavy work but I can barely knock a nail in straight.

it takes a lot of bottle in my opinion,so hats off to you,it is a dream of mine,somewhere quiet with its own lake,i don't have the money if I did then I would be straight at it, I have a family which is the first thing I have to think of,security for them first,my dreams will have to wait.

I work for a national housebuilder so I have a lot of contacts that can help when I get to a stage where I can build my own. It's high risk but very rewarding, you just need to fully estimate the costs and do some research. A colleague of mine is building his own at the moment, found a plot of land with an expired planning permission, contacted the land owner and away he went. Is doing the foundations at the moment. It's a 2,700 sqft house as well so it's not a small job! Finding the land is the hardest part, as soon as it has planning permission it's worth a lot more. Fortunately that's my role in the industry.

I hope to be able to build my own in about 10-15 years time.

I built my own house about 13 years ago, saved a fortune. Worked 4 x 10 hour shifts Mon thru Thursday (building houses) then three days building my place. Hard work but worth it if you're young enough. I still build, 90% of my work is carpentry (framing, finish, logs etc) but am starting to drift into overseeing projects a little more as the back's not what it was. Cost ? I'sd say about $200.00 a sq ft is average for around here but if you get over the hill into Jackson wy, could be $1000.00 sq ft, many factors and building codes to consider

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.