But of a morbid subject: What do you say...

C_T_I_D

...when someone you knows pet, relative or whatever has passed away and it's obvious they need comforting?

I've always been bought up with the idea that there are no special words you can say and nothing is never going to bring that pet or relative/ friend back but as long as they know that you're there to talk to if they need you then it's all good.

Have you ever been caught in the awkward situation of breaking the news of a death to someone you knew who they also knew i.e. a mutual friend?

Has anyone been to a funeral and then after it had one of their relatives or friends spilling their hearts out to them about the person who had passed away?

It has always interested me in a freaky kind of way, but nobody ever really seems to like discussing it.

One Boxing Day in the 1990's my Gran was staying over at ours.

I received a phone call from my Aunt to say that my Gran's younger brother, Tommy, had passed away. Before she told me she asked if Gran was in the room and told me to turn away before she told me what she did. She knew that Gran and Tommy had been the closest out of the seven siblings and advised me to break the news when I had composed myself.

The next 30 minutes or so were the longest of my life. I waited until Gran was on her own in the kitchen.Not something I'd want to do again.

I had to tell my dad that mum had died in hospital. Fuckin' awful.
I had to tell my sister my dad had died 3 months later. Fuckin' awful.

C_T_I_D said:
...when someone you knows pet, relative or whatever has passed away and it's obvious they need comforting?

I've always been bought up with the idea that there are no special words you can say and nothing is never going to bring that pet or relative/ friend back but as long as they know that you're there to talk to if they need you then it's all good.

Have you ever been caught in the awkward situation of breaking the news of a death to someone you knew who they also knew i.e. a mutual friend?

Has anyone been to a funeral and then after it had one of their relatives or friends spilling their hearts out to them about the person who had passed away?

It has always interested me in a freaky kind of way, but nobody ever really seems to like discussing it.

whats this about? have you lost someone recent? if you have then i apologise for this rant. but you are a prick. losing someone is not a morbid curiosity or interesting 'in a freaky kind of way' think before you post

C_T_I_D said:

You're a goth aren't you?

aphex said:
C_T_I_D said:

whats this about? have you lost someone recent? if you have then i apologise for this rant. but you are a prick. losing someone is not a morbid curiosity or interesting 'in a freaky kind of way' think before you post

It is to some people, he states that it's a morbid thread, which should serve as a warning if you don't wanna discuss something like that. Some people, as this thread has demonstrated, do.

just on slight tangent, have you ever been the one who has received the news.

I was on holiday in California a few years ago when I got a call from one of my uncles to tell me my sister had collapsed and died, the wait and trying to get home made it the longest 30hrs ever.

I was told about the death of my grandfather seven months after his passing.

I had visited him just two days before from interstate and he was on the mend.

I was never close with that side of the family, and hadn't seen them for around seven years, but I would be content if I never heard from them again ever. (There's a lot of background, too much to go into at the moment of course).

I ask because I have never been put in that situation, but there have been several times where I have felt the need to comfort friends who have lost relatives but I haven't because I could never find the words to say or indeed, know how to approach the person after something like that has happened.

I mean, how do you keep your emotions in tact? You in particular, Mackenzie. Where did you find it within you to compose yourself?

And no, Swales Lives, I'm not a goth. I just find situations where you are put in an awkward situation interesting to discuss because I doubt as to whether there is a 'set way' in which you do to the news that someone has passed away.

C T I D - death is one of those things that Brits are generally uneasy about I think. Stiff upper lip, don't show grief in public and all that stuff. I think other cultures are more realistic about it.

A few years ago I got an early morning phone-call which woke me from sleep. My mum was on the other end. She said she had some bad (or sad) news for me.

We knew my gran was getting towards the end, and my sleepy mind raced ahead anticipating what she was about to say.

"I'm sorry to have to tell you your DAD has died."

Moments later I put the phone down, still coming to terms with what she'd said, and said to my wife "My dad's jossed it" and got back in bed.

Surreal doesn't even describe it. Right news, wrong person. Shock causes different reactions.

My parents were divorced and not even on speaking terms, so how did she end up telling me all this ? Very surreal at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.