Buxton

AlgarveBlu

Looking for a few pearls from the illuminate that hover on this site..

Long story short - Been to Cotswolds and Somerset in the last 6 months looking for a holiday home and for one reason or another I couldn't find a place. I was going to start in Buxton as the reality is that I wanted somewhere that was in striking distance of the Etihad for myself and the two lads to go to the games and there's an hourly train from there.... The reason I didn't start my search in Buxton was after doing a word search on bluemoon most of the remarks were a bit disparaging about the area which put me off looking there first ( threads from a couple of years ago)...so flying out next week to look at few cottages at the cheap end of the market..

Question - Anybody got any thoughts on the area? I was looking to let it out for holidays etc as well but it's not a vital component in the equation. I know Bakewell is more touristic but really want access to that train line and all the amenities it has at hand.

Buyers tips - Not having ever bought in the UK does anyone have any 'should do' tips in advance from their own experiences? Have printed off some stuff off the internet.

Conveyance - is it generally 0.5% for legals?

Thanks

Ducado said:
There is nothing wrong with Buxton its situated in one of the most beautiful parts of the UK

I thought it looked really nice too but I was looking at the promo clip on the tourist boards website which tends to hide all the ills....

I lived in Buxton for a year and loved it. It was a few years ago but essentially the place is just the same now.
It does get very cold in winter and the town is regularly cut off in heavy snow. And don't listen to anyone telling you it's rough.

stonerblue said:
I lived in Buxton for a year and loved it. It was a few years ago but essentially the place is just the same now.
It does get very cold in winter and the town is regularly cut off in heavy snow. And don't listen to anyone telling you it's rough.

Thanks...Have been advised on a paper article to steer clear of Fairfield

nimrod said:
I like Buxton a lot

but its always fucking cold

That's one of the reasons we want it, to get away from the bloody heat in August over here...oh and no mossies in Buxton I presume

Buxton is lovely, very picturesque, lots to do if you like the outdoors and have a car. Train to Manchester is slow and Derby day ride back is often full of boorish United fans.

It is cold, the win chill makes it moreso. I've told this to several people who have visited, yet they always underestimate it.

It a not rough per se, there are some twats who look for trouble, but that's most towns nightlife really. Fairfield is on the rougher side, yes. Quite a few with banning orders, but to be honest there is no reason for you to go there.

A few nice pubs and restaurants.

All in all, it's very nice.

I can't for the life of me fathom why you would want to buy a holiday home there, though.

Buxton is lovely, very picturesque, lots to do if you like the outdoors and have a car. Train to Manchester is slow and Derby day ride back is often full of boorish United fans.

It is cold, the win chill makes it moreso. I've told this to several people who have visited, yet they always underestimate it.

It a not rough per se, there are some twats who look for trouble, but that's most towns nightlife really. Fairfield is on the rougher side, yes. Quite a few with banning orders, but to be honest there is no reason for you to go there.

A few nice pubs and restaurants.

All in all, it's very nice.

I can't for the life of me fathom why you would want to buy a holiday home there, though.

AlgarveBlu said:
nimrod said:
I like Buxton a lot

but its always fucking cold

That's one of the reasons we want it, to get away from the bloody heat in August over here...oh and no mossies in Buxton I presume

No Mossies...but plenty of plastic fucking Rags!

It's a great looking town but I always found the locals a bit strange....and as others have said,, it has its own micro-climate and does get horrendous snow on occasion. You might want to get get away from the heat, but moving to Buxton is taking that to the extreme.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.