Cataloging a music collection

Prestwich_Blue

Having moved I've now got all my CD's, LP's and even cassettes in one place and I want to catalogue them all to see what I've got duplicates of and just be able to see what I've got. Probably got 400 CD's and 200 LP's, about 70-80 albums on cassette and stuff I just have as MP3 on my computer/iPod.

I could just plough through and do it manually into a spreadsheet but that'll be a ballache. Does anyone know of/use software or services to make this easier or is it a pain however you do it?

You have come to the right place.

It's a pain however you do it. You could use a site like discogs, and build up your collection there, especially as you can scan barcodes...the trouble is, you are old, older than me, with old stuff, stuff that doesn't have barcodes on.

The app will recognise album covers as well though so you could be sorted with it.

There's a perverse delight in doing this sort of thing manually. Pick a couple of days when you are free and sit and listen to your collection whilst noting it all down.

It will take you back to memories, good and bad. It will make you smile, dance, sing...

.... or do just any old thing....

Was going to mention https://www.discogs.com/ but am unsure on charges.

Great advice to play it as you go, wish I still had mine, had a couple of thousand vinyl but am down to one box of cherished singles now plus a load of redundant cds.

Loved my vinyl...

.... or do just any old thing....

Was going to mention https://www.discogs.com/ but am unsure on charges.

Great advice to play it as you go, wish I still had mine, had a couple of thousand vinyl but am down to one box of cherished singles now plus a load of redundant cds.

Loved my vinyl...

Got a few records of my own...

Discogs is free to join and free to use. Cataloguing everything will take time.

Just sat here sipping some Glenfiddich, listening to Tom Waits and going through my self-recorded cassette index. I've got bootlegs and concerts I recorded from Radio 1 years ago plus mix-tapes with some stuff you'd struggle to get hold of these days. A lot of stuff I recorded from music I borrowed off mates at uni that they introduced me too and that brings back some wonderful memories like being stoned out of our heads listening to Todd Rundgren's A Wizard, A True Star. One of the truly great albums.

I have a Motown greatest hits vinyl record playing at the moment. Smooth...

When I started to buy vinyl again a couple of years ago I wrote them all down in a book which, like a sad fuckwit, I take to record fairs, shops etc etc so I don't buy duplicates.

I threw all my cassettes out years ago. Still have all my vinyl though, most of it came over with me and was probably bought at the underground market, Robinsons records, Virgin, Yanks, paperchase etc.
We used to record the John Peel show back in late 70's. Wish I still had those tapes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.