Change to the Diamond Formation

I got stats from whoscored.com; mind you, they made Aguero star man. It is ultimately in the eye of the beholder. Silva and Yaya played the head and base of diamond superbly and everything else revolved around them.

Yeh completely agree mate. I think the diamond also allows us to play a partner with Aguero and he's much better in a 2 imo, so it could be a really effective system for us.

I think we play that formation for the rest of the season we will win the title and some.

Let's not get carried away. It worked great against West Ham, but they didn't really press us in the way other teams have.

I think it's a formation we can certainly be successful in, rather than the formation we should always use. We've got a fair few "wingers" who've got pace/goals in them that can play as a support striker to Aguero in this formation; Sterling, Sane, Jesus & Nolito I imagine would all be comfortable there, without mentioning Nacho who could of course play there alongside Aguero. I do think it is one of the formations which suits our personnel best.

Puts stress on the fullbacks to provide the width though, certainly may be some scenarios where we need more width from players like Sterling/Sane/Navas & this formation wouldn't work.

Echo what others have said, Pep will utilise numerous formations dependent on opposition, and rightly so - was always one of Pellegrini's flaws that he was rigid in his formations & didn't adapt to what was put in front of him, so I feel it'd be foolish to suddenly opt for this formation week-in-week-out just because of yesterdays result.

Fair enough. I think that's a huge leap of faith based on one performance though.
I don't think it is a leap of faith Ric,I think pep has realised he got it wrong in a few of the games,I will be very surprised if he stuck with 3 at the back from now on.

I don't think it is a leap of faith Ric,I think pep has realised he got it wrong in a few of the games,I will be very surprised if he stuck with 3 at the back from now on.
I don't think he will stick with 3 at the back but I'd be amazed if we don't see it again all season when he feels it is right to do so

How can you say "stuck with 3 at the back" when he hasn't used it for weeks and when he did, it was only occasionally. He was never married to 3 at the back, he just used it when it was appropriate and he'll probably do the same again.

Last edited:
We can beat an abject West Ham with the diamond. But to win the league with it we'd need some serious full backs. Clichy and Sagna are not the answers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.