City are in trouble, according to this fountain of knowledge..

IIRC, Attwood regards himself as an Arsenal historian and I've seen pieces by him about the Henry Norris period which seek to deny anything that points to the above interpretation. Shows the same scrupulous regard for strict factual accuracy across the breadth of his output, I see.

Spot on. He uses more spin than Shane Warne when describing Arsenal's election to the top flight under Norris's chairmanship. Claims that no money changed hands, which in itself may well be correct as there's no evidence of this, but he uses that as a smokescreen for claiming Norris did nothing wrong. It seems the most plausible explanation as to what happened is that Norris used his knowledge of Liverpool and United fixing that game in 1915 as leverage when lobbying for Arsenal to be elected to the top flight - the Football League chairman at the time was John McKenna who was also the owner of Liverpool. For some bizarre reason, Tony Attwood doesn't think there's anything untoward with Norris doing this and even laughably claims that he was doing a good deed by threatening to expose the match-fixing. Obviously, Norris getting banned for life from football years later for other unrelated indiscretions gets brushed under the carpet by Attwood.

I often look at the bribes scandal back in 1905 and can't help thinking that while City weren't innocent, the punishment we suffered collectively as a club was probably the harshest in the history of English football and could've conceivably put us out of business. Then I look at all the other dodgy shit going on in the same era and see clubs getting off pretty much scot free for what were arguably more severe offences.

Spot on. He uses more spin than Shane Warne when describing Arsenal's election to the top flight under Norris's chairmanship. Claims that no money changed hands, which in itself may well be correct as there's no evidence of this, but he uses that as a smokescreen for claiming Norris did nothing wrong. It seems the most plausible explanation as to what happened is that Norris used his knowledge of Liverpool and United fixing that game in 1915 as leverage when lobbying for Arsenal to be elected to the top flight - the Football League chairman at the time was John McKenna who was also the owner of Liverpool. For some bizarre reason, Tony Attwood doesn't think there's anything untoward with Norris doing this and even laughably claims that he was doing a good deed by threatening to expose the match-fixing. Obviously, Norris getting banned for life from football years later for other unrelated indiscretions gets brushed under the carpet by Attwood.

I often look at the bribes scandal back in 1905 and can't help thinking that while City weren't innocent, the punishment we suffered collectively as a club was probably the harshest in the history of English football and could've conceivably put us out of business. Then I look at all the other dodgy shit going on in the same era and see clubs getting off pretty much scot free for what were arguably more severe offences.
I would interested if somebody who is more knowledgeable about City's history than me (only read Gary James book) also see parallels between what happened to City in 1905 and what has been happening in recent years and is still happening. I am referring to for example FFP, FA's version of this, the role of FA officials and other club officials in FFP, the recent academy transfer ban etc. I am sometimes thinking that history is trying to repeat itself.

The wealth is in our owners not the Etihad "business". We also have millions spread across other sponsors now.

If Etihad should pull out of their sponsorship agreement, our profile is now so high that there should be no shortage of replacements in the queue. No more Eidos, Saab or First Advice and the like. It will be big player multinationals ready to plunge in and not one penny of "dirty oil money" to besmirch is with.

If Etihad should pull out of their sponsorship agreement, our profile is now so high that there should be no shortage of replacements in the queue. No more Eidos, Saab or First Advice and the like. It will be big player multinationals ready to plunge in and not one penny of "dirty oil money" to besmirch is with.

If Etihad withdrew their sponsorship I think it's likely Gorton Electrical would step into the void.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.