City Circle

Well that's the end of that then.

The club tried to make the best of a bad situation and laid on one free meal for all attendees and all you could drink. The presentation was decently choreographed and displaying the City Circle messages on the on the LED digital advertising banner was a nice touch albeit seeing some of the birthday messages for 18th's, 21st's, 40, 50, 60, 70 and even one fella who had one bought for his 90th only sought to highlight that some people might have passed away in the intervening period and others were 3 years older by the time they got to see the discs. I can't help feeling though that the club should have at least served up a couple of recognised first teamers, because it felt to me like the event wasn't important enough for the club to upset the routine of any of the players even though loyal fans had been let down by City's handling of the issue.

This was compounded by the fact my 9 year old kept asking 'Who's he' every time a 'City Legend' was presented and the same when the 'Future City legends' (George Evans & some other EDS dude) were presented. Ian Cheeseman revealed that just over 1700 City Circles were sold and that an estimated 1200 of us had turned out for the event. After an hour and a half we were guided by the City band over to the City Circle at the foot of the bridge for the official unveiling.

Me and my boy were too far back to see the unveiling and the fireworks that preceded it were a bit weak too. If this display were on a bonfire night it would have been considered a really poor display. Having said that, it was a normal Thursday night so setting east Manchester ablaze with fireworks would have probably just pissed off the locals.

After the fireworks we queued to view our City Circle and we found it easily enough after assistance from one of the club staff. I took some pictures of it and my lad asked if he could run over the bridge and back, which I allowed him to do. After taking more pictures of my boy he asked me was it all finished, I told him to ask one of the club staff who said yes it was, but that we could hang around for as long as we liked.

I asked my boy what he wanted to do and he said we might as well go home, so we headed off home. Whilst walking back to the car park, we spotted Peter Barnes taking pictures with some fans and my son asked who he was. I told him Barnes was my favourite City/England player during the 70's and that he went to a neighbouring school to me and grew up in Chorlton. My son asked if he could have a picture taken with him so I said sure, so we queued up. When it was our turn my son pulled a Sharpie pen out of his pocket and asked Peter to sign my son's City shirt which he did. Richard Edgehill was stood sheepishly to one side as all the fans seemed to be ignoring him, but after Peter signed my son's shirt I called Richard over and asked him to sign the shirt too which he was happy to do and then both Barnes and Edgehill posed for photo's with my son.

My son then asked who was the player the fans were queuing to see behind us and I said Paul Dickov. I explained how Dickov's equaliser in 1999 against Gillingham probably saved our club so my son said I want him to sign my shirt too. Whilst we were queuing for Dickov, my son spotted Big Andy Morrison posing for photo's and my son said excitedly 'There's that big guy who was on stage earlier, I want him to sign my shirt' so he walked out of the Dickov queue and went over to Andy Morrison who signed his shirt and posed for a photo with him. We then queued again for Dickov who did the same.

It was only then that I forgot about the mess the club had made of the City Circle and concentrated on the reason I bought into it in the first place. It was all about my son. I wanted something personal between us both that he could always go to look at and remember his dad and what City meant to both of us. At this point my boy was absolutely buzzing which made it all seem worthwhile and strangely better than if all the first team had shown up. My son had never paid any attention to any of our former players but for the first time, he was hearing stories from other fans present of how things used to be during my son's short lifetime so far.

As we finally began the walk to the car park, my son stopped at a picture of Colin Bell and asked me 'Who's he? Was he any good?' An elderly couple who were walking past at the same time stopped and spent a couple of minutes telling my boy about the legend that is Colin Bell. He was that impressed he insisted on having another picture taken in front of Bell's picture. He asked me afterwards 'Was he really that good dad?' I told him that many people felt that Najinsky was the best player ever to wear a City shirt and this has only ever been disputed since David Silva came to our club.

The boy was on cloud 9! On the way home he kept asking me to take charge of his shirt to make sure his Mum didn't wash it before we had a chance to frame it for him! Lol All said and done, this was always about my son and to see the happiness I'd brought to him made all the shit I've had to put up with over the City Circle throughout the last 3 years well worth while.

It could have and should have been a better experience, but at the end of the day, all's well that ends well.
Absolutely fantastic read, I'm glad your lad had a great experience meeting and hearing about former players. Jealous he's met Andy Morrison and Dickov!

Did your lad have Silva 21 on the back? Wearing the full kit.
I just remember seeing the lad cueing up looking all nervous (for Paul Dickov I think) and then the next time I saw him he had a grin from ear to ear, running around etc
No mate, he's not that brave to face chilly Mancunian September evening without his coat on! Lol

To be honest, I think lots of kids will have had a new found interest in our past after last night. It's why after thinking about it, if current first team players had been present, none of the kids would probably given two hoots about Morrison, Dickov, Barnes, Edghill or what happened pre Sheikh Mansour.

Whether by design or because the club couldn't be arsed going the extra mile by having a couple of first team players attend, I think it probably ended up being for the best as those former players were a stark reminder of where we once were, how far we've come and what makes being a City supporter so special.

It was so touching watching older fans thanking our former greats for all they'd done for the club because as many pointed out, if we hadn't beaten Gillingham that day many thought the club could have sunk without a trace and the players were all visibly touched by the genuine affection and gratitude shown toward them last night by the fans.

The fact this gratitude then extended down to most of the youngsters who probably only realised for the first time last night the important contribution these players made in helping us to secure the new stadium, build the CFA, City Square and the fantastic squads we now have at all levels wasn't lost on anyone. It was fuckin emotional.

My boy went to sleep with his signed shirt beside him last night and woke up this morning telling me about his school mate who's got an authenticated Brazil shirt signed by, Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho. He said 'My mate's always bragging about his Brazil shirt, but wait till I tell him that I met Andy Big Guy, and Peter whatsisface last night and that Ding Dong Bell was better than Silva! Lol

Last edited:
Having read the comments fair play to city for trying to make the best of a bad job.
It read as if it was going to be a pie and pint for about 12 people off here,not the event that 1200 attended.
For all concerned now hope city can find someway of keeping city circle in the condition it was last night

wasn't too incensed with the delay anyway, but attending an excellent event put on by us last night and then being able to recoup nearly all the money for the disk via free beer and food (based on our matchday prices) means this whole saga comes to a satisfactory end for myself.

I enjoyed it and I'm glad I purchased my part of the circle, I thought it was a great effort by the club considering the PR disaster it has been since the discs were first sold. The connection between the club and fans was the main selling point and I think they got it just about right.

Didnt know what to expect but was very pleasantly surprised, free food, free beer wine , soft drinks. hosted by ian cheeseman, with lots of guests, peter barnes, andy morrison, izzy christiensen, richard edgehill, paul dikov, george evans. A couple of really nice fan stories with acompanying video. messages off the discs were displayed on the electronic banner round the second tier. after all the interviews and food and drinks, we were all taken round to city circle, floodlights and search lights lit up the scene and a firework display to mark the official unveiling. while we were at the circle they were giving out free hot drinks. and yes we got to hear from danny wilson who did apologise on behalf of the club. all in all a good do.

Agree with all of this. Spoke to Danny Wilson and he agreed that the organisation re the Circle had not been too good but I explained that it was obvious that the club had put a lot of effort into the evening and that was appreciated.

Took some pictures which you can see here
https://www.flickr.com/photos/49896538@N08/albums/72157659049447452

Bump....

Seemed to be more of us moaning pre-event than have posted since it ended.

I've said I was impressed as have a few others, I'm sure if it'd been a fuck up on the night we'd have quite a few more pages.

Bump....

Seemed to be more of us moaning pre-event than have posted since it ended.

I've said I was impressed as have a few others, I'm sure if it'd been a fuck up on the night we'd have quite a few more pages.

Sad reality unfortunately.

I went with the missus and thought it was excellent. The sort of thing that makes you proud to be a blue. Suffice to say with the free food, drinks, brass band, staff costs and all the other costs relating to the set up I'd have thought the club have lost money on the whole thing.

I'm really delighted to have my own part of the Etihad campus and the circle itself looks great.

Well done City for showing what a class club you are. No other club in the country would look after their fans this way.

It really did end up being a fitting way to celebrate having your own piece of city history. Pleased in the end that only circa 1,200 fans took up the opportunity as it makes your disk that bit more unique.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.