City Treble documentary | Club sell rights to Netflix for seven figure sum | To be aired in April (p5)

Watched the first episode and it’s a bit meh to be honest.

Lots of explaining what football is, which I get as it’s for a general / American audience.

A bit like Drive to Survive, for the die hard F1 fan it’s very dumbed down.
There was no chance it would ever be good enough for you pal.

I'm more the target audience; comfortable in Mary D's and Wetherspoons despite having all my own teeth.

I did laugh at the but where Haaland holds the physios hand to go into the pitch, one thing I miss not working is that day to day banter

That is basically what happened.

Still, its a football documentary with captured real footage. I'm not really sure how much can be done with it that wasn't. It's not like you can script anything or dramatise it too much. I'm sure the access for the film crew is somewhat limited too, even though they got decent footage too, so they only have so much to work with.

It is basically a dressed up session review with a bit of back story and interviews thrown in, as well a bit more behind the scenes stuff...but what else could it be?

It's still an enjoyable watch. I don't think anyone was expecting a masterpiece. Its just something to watch on Netflix in the spare time.
Not sure what people expect. It was made by City so of course it is similar to the stuff they put out all the time. I find it quite endearing that they do often include quite mundane stuff; it grounds things and there’s no doubt there is a house style to the City productions.

They were never going to air any dirty washing and they are careful not to give away too much of the trade secrets.

At the end of the day, it’s film of a bunch of nice guys playing football and winning loads of trophies. All the tension and drama came from watching it unfold at the matches during the season. What you see in the documentary is that, despite some bumps in the road, they actually made relatively light work of achieving the treble because the team were quite simply so damn good. The UCL final was probably the toughest game And if that final episode doesn’t moisten your eyes. I do think maybe a bit more of the post match celebrations could have been shown, say back at the hotel in Istanbul but that might not have been family viewing.

Carson made me laugh when he saves a few shots in training and says to Alvarez "I used to be good y'know Jules, back in the day"

Over half way through -
What a club and group of players that was last season - shame so many backroom and important players moved on - but suppose pastures new and all that, when you've achieved the very pinnacle (and unlikely, if we're honest, to repeat again).
I've had my occasional Pep gripes - usually at some selections - (I see now how he trusts everyone of them to do their job - more so than I clearly do) - but jeez how my already high admiration and appreciation of him has shot up watching that. The right tactics, the right motivation, the right glances, the right praise, the right bollockings - all at the right times! Genius indeed. Plus his loyalty!
So far - especially enjoyed the Bonsai, the Crocodile Debate, the Haaland Dortmund goal appreciation, Mahrez's control, seeing how intelligent and motivated they are/were, (is that GDM rubbing his shiny pate celebrating v Liverpool? ;-) ).

Last edited:

Still, its a football documentary with captured real footage. I'm not really sure how much can be done with it that wasn't. It's not like you can script anything or dramatise it too much. I'm sure the access for the film crew is somewhat limited too, even though they got decent footage too, so they only have so much to work with.

It is basically a dressed up session review with a bit of back story and interviews thrown in, as well a bit more behind the scenes stuff...but what else could it be?

It's still an enjoyable watch. I don't think anyone was expecting a masterpiece. Its just something to watch on Netflix in the spare time.
Not sure what I was expecting mate tbh but with the nearly year long wait for it to come out I just thought there’d more to it.

The Amazon doc had more to it.

What there should have been Is more candid conversations between the players, rather than just clips of everyone fooling around.
Peps speech after Southampton was great to watch, and as he left the room I thought "here we go, some proper conflict and finger pointing between the players" but it just cut to a dog, or a foot massage, probably!
There's certain minimum requirements needed for a fly on the wall doc, and conflict is right up there.
On the whole, I did enjoy it very much.

Enjoyed it, ep 6 was emotional with the players at the final whistle.

Afraid I am gonna go against the popular opinion and say the khaldoon bit at the end isn't needed and solely for the new fans and audience they are aiming this at.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.