City vs chelsea pre match thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castiel said:
teddykgb said:
Playing Matic would be very risky for them. He's probably a good player, but unproven at this level. Not sure this is the match for Chelsea to find out he's Javi Garcia part 2. I could see a sub appearance for each of the new signings for Chelsea, but starting with them would be a very bold choice.

Mourinho is probably smart enough to figure out that you have to disrupt our play, press and close, mark the hell out of Silva and hope for the best. This is easier said than done, however, and I tend to feel that it's easier to get your team to do it when they're less skilled.

Nonetheless, we should respect that side from their stroke of luck (and how much better does the table look if Chelsea is minus 2 points?) they did play us well at their place. I don't think this will be a walk in the park, especially without Aguero. We've been so strong at home that you have to think we'll at least draw, but 3 points here would be so massive.
No reason Matic won't start and he's exactly the sort of player you want against City. He's been great in his two appearances and we know what he can do from meetings with Benfica in Europe. He's also a former player, not a complete unknown to us and I think it'd be a mistake to leave him out here.

I understand why you feel this way, but still think Matic would be a gamble. It even took Fernandinho a bit of time to really be himself in the PL, and I don't think Matic is as good as Fernandinho. I just think it would be a gamble, and sometimes gambles do pay off.

I'm not sure if he's the right kind of player versus City, though, I'd be eager to know why you think that. I feel a lot of teams obsess about Yaya's strength, but I think Yaya is better nullified by a bunch of small players running around him versus trying to match his steel. I certainly think that our struggles, when we have struggled, have correlated with quicker sides using pressing and pace to make things difficult, not necessarily strong DMs breaking up play. If we've passed our way to the DM, in most cases you're already in far too much trouble for him to do much. I suppose if you play with two CDM then maybe this isn't true, but we've been far better against the packed bus this year than previous seasons. I think Chelsea will have to possess the ball to win this one, but I suppose it's plausible Jose will play for the draw.

I worry about this game because selfishly I want to be a supporter of the first team in English football to have a completely perfect record at home.

teddykgb said:
I understand why you feel this way, but still think Matic would be a gamble. It even took Fernandinho a bit of time to really be himself in the PL, and I don't think Matic is as good as Fernandinho. I just think it would be a gamble, and sometimes gambles do pay off.

I'm not sure if he's the right kind of player versus City, though, I'd be eager to know why you think that. I feel a lot of teams obsess about Yaya's strength, but I think Yaya is better nullified by a bunch of small players running around him versus trying to match his steel. I certainly think that our struggles, when we have struggled, have correlated with quicker sides using pressing and pace to make things difficult, not necessarily strong DMs breaking up play. If we've passed our way to the DM, in most cases you're already in far too much trouble for him to do much. I suppose if you play with two CDM then maybe this isn't true, but we've been far better against the packed bus this year than previous seasons. I think Chelsea will have to possess the ball to win this one, but I suppose it's plausible Jose will play for the draw.
Because he's absurdly industrious and gets everywhere. I believe they call him the spider in Portgual. He'd be instrumental in breaking up your passing game and harassing your creative players. We did the same against you at the Bridge, Aguero was isolated for the entire game because we cut off his service in the middle. He managed to score from a long shot at the near post, which Cech should have stopped. Matic is the best player we have for that sort of task now. City have to be pressed so Matic and Ramires would be our best choice in CM in my opinion.

teddykgb said:
Castiel said:
teddykgb said:
Playing Matic would be very risky for them. He's probably a good player, but unproven at this level. Not sure this is the match for Chelsea to find out he's Javi Garcia part 2. I could see a sub appearance for each of the new signings for Chelsea, but starting with them would be a very bold choice.

Mourinho is probably smart enough to figure out that you have to disrupt our play, press and close, mark the hell out of Silva and hope for the best. This is easier said than done, however, and I tend to feel that it's easier to get your team to do it when they're less skilled.

Nonetheless, we should respect that side from their stroke of luck (and how much better does the table look if Chelsea is minus 2 points?) they did play us well at their place. I don't think this will be a walk in the park, especially without Aguero. We've been so strong at home that you have to think we'll at least draw, but 3 points here would be so massive.
No reason Matic won't start and he's exactly the sort of player you want against City. He's been great in his two appearances and we know what he can do from meetings with Benfica in Europe. He's also a former player, not a complete unknown to us and I think it'd be a mistake to leave him out here.

Yeah I'd say the best way to get us is a furious press, quick passes through a midfield three and a wide interchangable front 3 with hard working wingers - exactly like Bayern.

I'd be more worried if mourinho got hazard and William wide behind our roaming full backs than if he played those two plus Oscar in a compact 3 behind a striker.

ChelseaRep said:
Chelsea Should comfortably win 3-1, City only knows how to attack, but cannot defend in solid shape, attacking in waves will play to our strengths because we will pick them off on the counter, the same way we did against Bayern Munich in the Super Cup but penalties was our undoing on that particular evening.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

For them:

Cech

Ivanovic
Terry
Cahill
Cole

Ramires
Luiz
Mikel
Hazard
Oscar

Eto'o

For us:

Hart

Zabaleta
Kompany
Demichelis
Kolarov

Yaya
Dinho
Silva
Jovetic
Navas

Negredo

Optimistically if we score early it could finish 3-1 or close. But if we let it get drawn out we could drop our first points at home. This is why Mourinho wins titles. Hopefully were firing on all cylinders.

I remember us dominating them last season in this game, and we had Rodwell and Garcia starting in midfield as well as no Kompany!

BringBackSwales said:
CITY FOR LIFE said:
The Etihad is going to be bouncing on Monday night and I for one can not wait :)

was just about to post the same

-- Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:49 pm --

kun said:
Hart
Zabaleta Kompany Nastasic Kolarov
Yaya Fernandinho
Milner Silva Jovetic
Negredo

Pants, Richards, Demichelis, Clichy, Rodwell, Navas, Dzeko

2-1 City

Yaya, Jovetic
Eto'o

cannot see Navas not starting

Why would navas not start - the bloke is quality from both an attacking and a defending sense.

This is how we should play against Chelsea.
fck9ox.jpg

18th Century Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.