City's Global Fanbase

I think we've always had good support..but it was mainly local..and in a big City like Manchester we were the only alternative to across the road

I'd say in the dark days 80-90% of blues were from the North-West at least

I grew up in North Wales..when I wore a city shirt as a kid..I used to get some strange looks..It was a strong Liverpool area in the 80s..there was only about 5 of us in a town of 35k who supported City

We used to come up to the games with an older lad in our teens in the back of his Rentakill van

It takes some getting used to seeing fans from Africa..South America etc..but I'm not bitter about it..anyone who supports CIty is welcome

im from south wales and i had the very same looks and constant piss taking, ...... but i really, really loved wearing my city shirts (not so much now as im 42 fat and balding) but I was THE only city supporter around, and i loved it. I kept saying/hoping that "maybe one day our time would come and i would see City win a trophy" ......never in my wildest dreams did i think we would be where we are today. Never. After 20 odd years of utter contempt from united and liverpool fans to me, im going to enjoy every single minute of us being successful and them lot winning next to nothing.

im from south wales and i had the very same looks and constant piss taking, ...... but i really, really loved wearing my city shirts (not so much now as im 42 fat and balding) but I was THE only city supporter around, and i loved it. I kept saying/hoping that "maybe one day our time would come and i would see City win a trophy" ......never in my wildest dreams did i think we would be where we are today. Never. After 20 odd years of utter contempt from united and liverpool fans to me, im going to enjoy every single minute of us being successful and them lot winning next to nothing.
You enjoy it adr2 : )

I remember in the US when I was younger there was only one OSC out of New York and I think one in Hollywood. (Pearce era, more or less) Now I see Twatter accounts popping up for City supporters' clubs in just about every major city. Seems like I notice a new one every day appearing in the timelines of people I follow.

I just think that is awesome. The game as a whole has gotten much more popular stateside since 2000 and I love to see such a good chunk of people picking the good guys and not who new fans of the sport used to side with.

At the weekend I went into a small bar in Los Cristianos, Tenerife. Sat there was a guy from Argentina in a eagle badge City shirt. When he saw my shirt he came across said hello & showed me a picture of him & his son on the Etihad tour. Massive fans.

Then another group came in with one in a City tee shirt, on holiday from Cardiff.

Later a bloke came in with a Liverpool shirt - a rare, rare sight these days. Of course asked him if this was their year. Said did I like sex & travel ?

Two things I miss.

1. Seeing a City fan in Wales/London/Spain and shouting "good shirt mate" or stopping for a chat knowing almost for certain you'd be speaking to someone who was a diehard. I speak/shout at some people now and they look at me like I'm mental (probably right on that score, but for different reasons).

2. Finding the two or three City shirts tucked away in a sports shop in Rhyl or Reading and putting them to the front of the racks so it looks like a Manchester shop.

Weird, I know.

I grew up in Gresford that was at the time a mining village o/s Wrexham in North Wales, the only City fan in the school, during footy I use to wear a sky blue shirt, much to the amusement of every one else, who where Bin dippers or rags, Thanks Dad for bringing me up class

Two things I miss.

1. Seeing a City fan in Wales/London/Spain and shouting "good shirt mate" or stopping for a chat knowing almost for certain you'd be speaking to someone who was a diehard. I speak/shout at some people now and they look at me like I'm mental (probably right on that score, but for different reasons).

2. Finding the two or three City shirts tucked away in a sports shop in Rhyl or Reading and putting them to the front of the racks so it looks like a Manchester shop.

Weird, I know.

I hide the United mags in Airport newsagents

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.