City's New Badge - Do You Like It?

???? The 80s & 90s were a bit of a blur, so help me out with the FA Cup win and coming 2nd in navy blue socks! ;-P

Not sure if you realised, but we wore navy socks before the 80s and 90s? In fact we wore them in the 1890’s, and wore them the season we were the first Manchester club to win a trophy in 1904. I think there’s a photo earlier in the thread :-)

Yeh we’ve all got our own different experiences, guessing you started watching in the 50s then? You must have seen some sights in your time.

I know a lot of fans who grew up in the 60s and 70s loved the maroon turnover socks. A lot of fans I know who grew up in the 80s love the navy socks. Guess it comes down to your earliest memory of City a lot of the time what you prefer.
We’ve hardly ever had sky socks with maroon turnovers in our history. 1967-72 and 2010-11. Then in 1962-63 we had a maroon stripe on the turnovers like this season. That’s just 8 seasons out of 124.

We’ve had navy socks for over half of those 124 years but barely seen them in the last couple of decades.

Not sure if you realised, but we wore navy socks before the 80s and 90s? In fact we wore them in the 1890’s, and wore them the season we were the first Manchester club to win a trophy in 1904. I think there’s a photo earlier in the thread :-)
I certainly did know that, but we were talking about their resurrection in the lost years of the 80s & 90s. Of note, though, is the fact that no one seems to know if they were, indeed, navy or black.

It was clear that ADUG wanted to make our colours sky, white and navy from their first few kits, but we seem to have moved on from there to sky, white and maroon. I hope we don’t go back. I fear we will.

Been nice chatting. It’ll be what it’ll be, and I won’t support us any less no matter the third colour in the kit.

I certainly did know that, but we were talking about their resurrection in the lost years of the 80s & 90s. Of note, though, is the fact that no one seems to know if they were, indeed, navy or black.

It was clear that ADUG wanted to make our colours sky, white and navy from their first few kits, but we seem to have moved on from there to sky, white and maroon. I hope we don’t go back. I fear we will.

Been nice chatting. It’ll be what it’ll be, and I won’t support us any less no matter the third colour in the kit.

Same for me, although if we ever have blue shorts again I might consider a boycott ;-)

I think the “the socks might have been black” is a relatively recent theory thrown forward by fans who don’t like the navy socks.

There’s no evidence they were black, and it would seem strange that Umbro just decided to pluck navy socks out of thin air in 1987, pretty sure they will have done some research.

I like the maroon turnovers too, but despite the opinion of some, navy isn’t a recent thing by Nike. It’s been associated with the club for decades, I certainly associate navy with City. It’s been far more prominent as a City colour than maroon for the last 30 odd years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.