Cost of living crisis - how are you all doing?

Aldi absolutely rammed everytime I’ve been in recently which is a sure sign that folk from all backgrounds are now feeling the pinch - some Of the shelves looked half empty today
Not necessarily a sign that things are tough. Plenty of middle class folk shop there regularly regardless of the economic climate. It's also always rammed with long queues at checkouts because they keep a lean workforce within stores.

I come from what is a particularly poor part of Manchester. Lots of my friends sell drugs, are locked up or dead. The amount of times people have posted things on here, that they have seen in the Evening News, which has been my mates or people I know, is unbelievable.
I have Crohn's disease and the doom and gloom was making me worse. I just did not want to be around it anymore. Due to COVID, I had 2 spells of total isolation, where I could not leave the house or have contact with anyone. There were some other things going on in my life at the time and I just needed to get away. I worked ridiculously hard to put myself in a position where I could make something of my life and did not want to be around all the shit that surrounded me.
I was offered a job in Somerset. They head hunted me. While I was making up my mind, one of my mates asked me to mind a load of money in my house, as I am a straight member. Another of my mates got locked up for shooting at another lad I know, in broard daylight, on Briscoe Lane. I just thought 'fuck this' I had, had enough.
So that's how I ended up in Somerset. I have just been unlucky with the timing from a financial perspective. From a lifestyle perspective, it was definitely the right decision.
I don't lead an ostentatious lifestyle. I have a 5 year old Volvo and I have a small 2 bed house in the countryside. It is going to difficult for me, for a while, but I just have to suck it up. I am mid 40's, well qualified and gaining valuable experience. When things do pick up, I can sell my house, return north and hopefully prosper. Just got to suck it up for now.

You made the right move! My mortgage going up a few hundred a month. Lots of people on here a bit removed from the reality of how it is for lots of us!

Hang on a few years and enjoy Somerset.

Not necessarily a sign that things are tough. Plenty of middle class folk shop there regularly regardless of the economic climate. It's also always rammed with long queues at checkouts because they keep a lean workforce within stores.
I’d hate to work there - slave driving seems to be the company policy - it would be a truly depressing place to work. It’s a wonder the poor buggers working there know their heads from their arses jumping on and off the tills etc every few minutes.

Aldi isn't even cheap these days.
It’s disappearing up its own arse mate, same average quality on many things, but almost Tesco and Asda prices.

My one, the shelves are generally empty of many of the things I want, some of the staff are rude as fuck too just ramming people out of the way, no “excuse me” or “thank you”, I rarely go in now and use Lidl mostly.

I’d hate to work there - slave driving seems to be the company policy - it would be a truly depressing place to work. It’s a wonder the poor buggers working there know their heads from their arses jumping on and off the tills etc every few minutes.
They used to have a decent reputation for its workers. A bit more pay and a more varied role. Wonder if that has changed.

Aldi isn't even cheap these days.
Done lots of comparisons on Trolly.co.uk for the weekly shop and the big boys are fighting back nicely. A lot of unbranded and branded products being sold at Aldi can be had for the same same price or less elsewhere. It did used to ring true with Aldi's old adverts of "I like that one.. but I also like this one" when quality was up there with the best.

It's quite a different story now as the own brand discounters further press suppliers for more value and eventually the only thing that can give are the ingredients and contents. Not all of Aldi's product are pish, but a lot that used to be really sound are no longer edible ..well not to my palate anyway.

This week we beat Tesco and Aldi using Sainsbury again, but we'll swop in a heartbeat as loyalty in a cost of living crisis makes little sense. I do go into Aldi for their tonic as its palatable and only 59p.

Last weeks online shop listed below, the stand out for us was the two packs of Taylors lava strength coffee at £3 a pack. Normal price is £4.50 a pack. Also Tanqueray £22 a litre and Baileys at a tenner a bottle. Also the box of Victoria chocolate biscuits priced £4 is beyond insane, as are those pot noodles at 90 pence.

Having said that if you go to Farmfoods they are doing King size pot noodles for 55p which seriously need buying in bulk. Also boxes of 166 Cadbury flakes for only 6.99. I've said too much.

9PgZCxj.jpg

o3BXpgq.jpg

Last edited:
It’s disappearing up its own arse mate, same average quality on many things, but almost Tesco and Asda prices.

My one, the shelves are generally empty of many of the things I want, some of the staff are rude as fuck too just ramming people out of the way, no “excuse me” or “thank you”, I rarely go in now and use Lidl mostly.
The firm I work for built an aldi store in scunthorpe.
The people who are in charge of new stores opening etc are an absolute bunch of pricks.
We discovered two big gas pipes which weren't on any surveys etc.
Obviously things like that can delay a build.
All they said was this is aldi we don't care what the gas board say we have to open on time.
Put me.off going in any aldi since

Speaking to a customer last week who runs a huge arable farm and she told me they lost their oilseed crop due to flea beetle (which all farmers have suffered this year), then they lost the rye and wheat crops due to flooding and now the maize crop harvesting has been delayed because of wet land, which has reduced that harvest
She summed up by saying " a horrendous year and it will result in huge price hikes of bread and flour and a shortage of cooking oil"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.