Cyclists

No problem,let's stop building cycle paths,save councils up and down the country a fortune.At most cross roads you have to stop! Sorry if you are a cyclist the ,traffic lights,pedestrian crossings,over taking on the inside of vehicles,is something else that cyclists couldn't,t give a damn about
I go around the outside... cycle paths are a great idea for families and kids but a cyclist with an ounce of common sense is fine on the road for me

It's all about tolerance and compared to places like Germany, on the roads we are piss poor at tolerance, rules and giving a shit about other people... Less haste more speed I say

Agree. As long as all road users take heed of the Highway Code, then I have no issue with any vehicles using the public highway.

Most of the cycle paths between home and work are poorly maintained, and in some places downright dangerous; it is a damn site safer using the road.
Agree, I used to do an 8 mile circuit in Stafford to get me out at lunch time on the fixie and gave up on the cycle paths, the same shit lying on there for weeks on end and awful surface conditions because of roots etc...

Take a look at Holland, a nation of cyclists, to see how its done..... Even scooters use them over there with no issues at all

For the motorists, so they can better understand the notion that the road is shared, or for the cyclists so they can better pick out the driver who is gonna shunt them up the arse or broadside them?

I always regard it as a 'bad day' when I can't get out on my bike and I don't have to travel far before I meet a motorist who leaves me thinking "I wonder what you were trying to do there"? One of the 'best' tests is to see how many motorists try to squeeze through the shortened gap in one of those refuges in the middle of the road where the left hand side is painted green and clearly warns motorists that they should be taking EXTRA care. My rough memory count is running at about fifty percent who try and fifty percent who wait till you've gone through safely on yer bike!

You seem as though you have it in for motorists, bet you wear cameras front & rear, ride round until you manage to capture something controversial then rush home to see if it's worthy of handing to the police.
Btw, what are these refuges & green zones? Seriously I don't remember seeing green paint on the roads, the only cyclist only zones I have seen other than lanes in the gutter are at the front of the queue at traffic lights.

I've never knocked a cyclist over, I've nothing against them as long as they stay where they are supposed to be, of course most of them don't and this is where the problems stems from.

I've never knocked a cyclist over, I've nothing against them as long as they stay where they are supposed to be, of course most of them don't and this is where the problems stems from.
Where do you think they are "supposed to be"?

Where do you think they are "supposed to be"?

Over to the left, not 3 abreast, not weaving in and out of traffic, not dodging traffic lights. I know they don't all do those things but obviously the ones I notice do those sort of tricks. Just keep to your own part of the road, was it you who said about lunch time rides and not using the cycle lanes due to the plants etc? Well if I had to drive somewhere regularly that had rough terrain I'd make sure I had a suitable vehicle, so get a mountain bike with knobbly tyres, sorted.

Over to the left, not 3 abreast, not weaving in and out of traffic, not dodging traffic lights. I know they don't all do those things but obviously the ones I notice do those sort of tricks. Just keep to your own part of the road, was it you who said about lunch time rides and not using the cycle lanes due to the plants etc? Well if I had to drive somewhere regularly that had rough terrain I'd make sure I had a suitable vehicle, so get a mountain bike with knobbly tyres, sorted.
No vehicle has any more entitlement to any part of the carriageway than another. All vehicles should keep to the left of the lane at all times; except when turning right, changing lanes or overtaking.

No vehicle has any more entitlement to any part of the carriageway than another. All vehicles should keep to the left of the lane at all times; except when turning right, changing lanes or overtaking.

Agreed but it's fair to assume that if I'm driving then I'll be travelling faster than the cyclist, so will be looking to overtake them, so they should be keeping to the left, trouble is some of them, the noticeable ones, think it's fine to take some sort of central ground in order to impede the motorist, it's as though they think they should decide when it's safe for me to pass them, fuck that, I've passed a test to drive, they just bought a pair of wheels and hit the road.

As for the complaints about the gutters being rough, get a sturdy bike is my advice because that's where you're supposed to ride, or get a car.

Agreed but it's fair to assume that if I'm driving then I'll be travelling faster than the cyclist, so will be looking to overtake them, so they should be keeping to the left, trouble is some of them, the noticeable ones, think it's fine to take some sort of central ground in order to impede the motorist, it's as though they think they should decide when it's safe for me to pass them, fuck that, I've passed a test to drive, they just bought a pair of wheels and hit the road.

As for the complaints about the gutters being rough, get a sturdy bike is my advice because that's where you're supposed to ride, or get a car.
My guess is you've not ridden on the roads for a while (if at all)?

Taking the central ground just to impede a motorist would be a ridiculous thing to do as you are far more likely to get knocked off by some angry lunatic who feels that they have more right to be on the road. All cyclists would be happy for you to pass them safely. Whilst part of the highway, the gutter is not there for the cyclist to ride in. It is for drainage of water. Cyclist can't ride in the gutter anyway, as in the main it is littered with crap, stones, bits of metal, and a whole manner of other s**t that will shred your tyres. Also, you don't want to put a wheel on a wet drain cover because it more than likely result in a trip to the tarmac.

Also, most cyclists I know are also car drivers, and good drivers at that because they have respect for all road users.

You seem as though you have it in for motorists, bet you wear cameras front & rear, ride round until you manage to capture something controversial then rush home to see if it's worthy of handing to the police.
Btw, what are these refuges & green zones? Seriously I don't remember seeing green paint on the roads, the only cyclist only zones I have seen other than lanes in the gutter are at the front of the queue at traffic lights.

Nothing like, nw42. I have a camera but it has occasional use and it's to photo places we haven't been to before, not to catch motorists, and besides I'm a motorist too!

Where you have bollards and a little refuge in the middle of the road for those other road users - pedestrians - the road is narrowed and it can be a hazard if car and bike go through together. There is about a yard of the road from the gutter which has that green paint stuff and a white bicycle icon to warn drivers. There's hundreds of 'em. I'm beginning to think, nw42, that you don't 'Think bike'! And that's bike in bicycle and not bike in motorcycle!!

Some police forces give the advice that it is better to ride abreast so that a motorist can pass in a shorter space than if cyclists are strung out in single file. Certainly if the cyclists are out in club force.

The things that are needed, tolerance and common sense, are the two things that seem to be the last to appear when it comes to cyclists and motorists.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.