David Bowie RIP.

What?

As much as I like Bowie, this is a mad statement to make. He was just a pop star. Nothing more, nothing less.

Oh...Where was I? In bed. Listening to the radio. Where I suspect a lot of people were as well.
Nothing mad about that statement. If it didnt affect you then fair enough, but it doesnt make it a mad statement because you werent very bothered. He was culturally hugely important to the 20th century

I am big Bowie fan and was gutted when I heard the news yesterday.

As for our generation's "Kennedy" moment though, that's got to be 9/11 surely?

@nw42 I think the podcasts can be found here: http://cba.fro.at/seriesrss/280176. Otherwise all the shows I've done before are under this address and can be played direct from the website:
http://cba.fro.at/series/cool-britannia. Or you could check out Cool Britannia IBK on Facebook.
@Gaylord du Bois don't expect too much from the Bowie show tho, as I'm just gonna introduce the show and then let the music do it's thing! I'm still working on the Northern Soul shows - hopefully a series of six, one every month.

Bowie walked into my life when I was 11. I thought he was amazing.

He mostly made me smile when he got my African mother up and moving around the kitchen to 'Lets Dance' in that summer. Makes me smile every time I think of it.

Ironically, he popped into my mind around 2 weeks ago and every other day I was thinking 'I need to download stuff for my phone'.

So, yesterday I wake up to the same thought; download his stuff. Get my kids ready for school, pop on the TV and... he's gone!

The wind left me and it was like some disconnect. Really dumbfounded that he'd been in my head so prominently only to disappear!

Don't think I said much for an hour.

Today, though, I turn on the TV, in from work and there's a vigil.

Cringeworthy.

Davey Jones/ Bowie would be embarrassed.

What?

As much as I like Bowie, this is a mad statement to make. He was just a pop star. Nothing more, nothing less.

Oh...Where was I? In bed. Listening to the radio. Where I suspect a lot of people were as well.

well i couldnt remember where i was when Kennedy got shot because i couldnt give a f*ck about him , but i will always remember where i was when i heard the thin white duke died , its personal. And your current "pop star" is some half baked singer who wins popfactor , or whatever its called , and is then owned and treated like puppet for the rest of his 12 month career , maybe you should take time to look a the tributes left to the Bowie , and the amount of musicians he influenced , i am sure you are not trying to belittle his achievements , but "just a popstar" is an unwise retort , when emotions are high , amongst some people.

Yesterday was my son's birthday, got into the car with a bit of a hangover and turned on Radio Manchester. I listened to a medley of Bowie for about five minutes and was enjoying it thoroughly and then they ended it by saying goodbye to a true musical great. I couldn't believe it and still can't really. It's not that often that you are stunned by someone you don't actually know dying.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.