Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t wait to next season. Every Arsenal game will be talking about the million five pound man, most expensive player, etc. Every pass he completes will be magical and worth every penny.

I wonder if we really did want him or it was just a tactic to drive the price up.

Who said we're spending 400 mil? I said we could if we wanted and still be OK for FFP. I'm a CPA and was a fiscal director for 25 years. Did well enough to retire early and come on here and fuck about with you all. : )
Ok let’s run the figures then. Say we spent £400m on 6 new signings with an average 5 year contract and £250k per week (as we’re assuming they’re all big hitters given the price we’ve paid).

The amortisation on the contracts is now an extra £80m per year and the wages for the new 6 are £78m per year.

That’s £158m per year (wages plus amortisation), every year, for 5 years on those new players alone. Absolutely affordable this year no doubt given our increase in TV and CL money but we’d have to be banking on doing the same over and over again. (Oh and then maybe not buying anyone next season or the one after as we’ve got this new, large additional massive expense)

It’s impossible to look at one summer and say we have ‘X’ to spend because we won ‘Y’ last year without having access to our full accounts, knowing what the bonus structure (and therefore our expense exposure) is due to winning the treble, what our bonuses are worth for winning the lot from our sponsors and a myriad of other things that we don’t have access to.

I don’t get how it’s a clever tac tic when it clearly hasn’t affected arsenals transfer window… Havertz for £65m. Timber for £45m. Rice for £100m.
We pushed the price up so they've had to overpay. That's 210m they've spent on 3 players who won't really improve their first 11. We got Haaland, KDB, Ederson, Alvarez, Akanji and Rodri for less than they've paid for 3 of those.

We have the Treble money and they've blown their budget on 3 above average players. I really don't think we were genuinely interested in Rice.

We've got the field to ourselves now! Happy days!

The one caveat to that is why bid £90m, a figure which Arse had rejected days before?
I thought Arse had 85 million reject. So we bid 90. It's quite possible our max was 95 million. But since Arsenal bid 105, there was no point putting in a 2nd and final bid.

It's as if we wanted to panic Arse into massively upping their bid, & then telling all involved "It's a bit rich for our blood blud, so we're out!"

Arse fans ain't happy! Can't you tell? A few days ago the place was crawling with em, but they've disappeared up their own arses since we "ended our interest" lickety split! Lol :-)
I think panicking the opposition is more of a fan thing. We genuinely thought Rice would be asset to the team, and valued him at X. And I'm sure we'd have loved to have him if we could.

But I doubt he is viewed as a "can't miss/ carry your team to the next level" addition., Hence why we pulled out when we did.

We pushed the price up so they've had to overpay. That's 210m they've spent on 3 players who won't really improve their first 11. We got Haaland, KDB, Ederson, Alvarez, Akanji and Rodri for less than they've paid for 3 of those.

We have the Treble money and they've blown their budget on 3 above average players. I really don't think we were genuinely interested in Rice.

We've got the field to ourselves now! Happy days!
Trust me, ww were. And I'm not even ITK

But we knew the price we were never going to get him for under 100m, rumours of Bernardo resigning would make this seem a possible reason for walking away.

And if the little fella is staying or even better extending, it's the best signing of the summer.

Ok let’s run the figures then. Say we spent £400m on 6 new signings with an average 5 year contract and £250k per week (as we’re assuming they’re all big hitters given the price we’ve paid).

The amortisation on the contracts is now an extra £80m per year and the wages for the new 6 are £78m per year.

That’s £158m per year (wages plus amortisation), every year, for 5 years on those new players alone. Absolutely affordable this year no doubt given our increase in TV and CL money but we’d have to be banking on doing the same over and over again. (Oh and then maybe not buying anyone next season or the one after as we’ve got this new, large additional massive expense)

It’s impossible to look at one summer and say we have ‘X’ to spend because we won ‘Y’ last year without having access to our full accounts, knowing what the bonus structure (and therefore our expense exposure) is due to winning the treble, what our bonuses are worth for winning the lot from our sponsors and a myriad of other things that we don’t have access to.
Again, all I'm saying is that if we WANTED we could actually spend up to 400 mil this Summer and not violate FFP. If our future results can't support that structure we'd have to adjust accordingly. Personally, I would look to bring in 4 players for around 200 mil or so (Kovacic, Gvardiol, Veiga and a 4th at 50 mil or so. BTW, are you accounting for the wage bill being reduced by the outgoings, Gundo, Cancelo, Laporte...and Mendy who although he's been suspended is still under contract until 6/30 and a contingency must be maintained on the books in the event he is found not guilty on the 2 remaining charges in which case I'm sure we'll have to compensate him retroactively. It's all good : )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.