Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

As a few have already pointed out, we don't really need a midfield destroyer. I think gundogan will get a shot at being the deep lying midfielder once he's fit but it doesn't seem like there's any plan to have a conventional DM in this side. I crapped myself when I saw our team against Spurs at home last season and that Toure was our most defensive minded midfielder. Worked a treat though! I reckon at best we might go for another box to box type next season but for the time being we'll work with what we have.

I don't feel there is a role for a 'traditional' destroyer in this team. I have a feeling that Yaya, Gundongan and B Silva will all be used as they each combine the ability to receive a pass under pressure; the ability to turn to either side and pass with either foot, and also the ability to pass crisply, short and long, into feet or space.

I don't feel there is a role for a 'traditional' destroyer in this team. I have a feeling that Yaya, Gundongan and B Silva will all be used as they each combine the ability to receive a pass under pressure; the ability to turn to either side and pass with either foot, and also the ability to pass crisply, short and long, into feet or space.

I think so too. Madrid have Modric in that position for example.

The difference is he has Casemiro alongside him who is a bit more of a 'destroyer' type.

I think so too. Madrid have Modric in that position for example.

The difference is he has Casemiro alongside him who is a bit more of a 'destroyer' type.

Yes, but with Mendy, Walker or Danilo tucked in, the destroyers are there too. I should also have listed Danilo as a potential CDM though I don't feel he has the same attributes as the others. He's good, but technically the other three are at the top of the tree.

I'm not sure we need a destroyer more physical presence and defensive work rate. Fernandinho is perfect in that role but we could do with another cm who will bust a gut to break up an attack.

I don't think Danilo will play there much, if at all. We only have 3 fullbacks, we're a man short as it is in that area,we won't be burning him out and ultimately the other two from lack of rotation by playing him in midfield when we have plenty of options there already. Fernandinho,Yaya and Gundogan will all cover that position. Next year we'll address it when 1 or both of Yaya and Fernandinho are likely to leave. aside from the number 8/10 role it's out most covered position.

Having a dominant DM would be great. But in this team he'd be a passenger unless he can ALSO do all the passing/movement/vision thing. I think someone like Weigl might be able to do all this, but there aren't many players who offer everything.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.