Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

Not everyone needs to be a technically gifted and creative player. I wish pep would change his philosophy on this one because there's plenty of creativity and attacking force in the players we already have (Plus any potential signing) If we sign attacking full backs then someone sat in front of the defence is an absolute must otherwise we'll be just as exposed as before, maybe even more so.

Everyone in the league knows to sit deep against us and counter and when that happens I'd want an out and out dm to break things up for the better footballers and protect the back 4. Who that person is though I don't know.

We still need full backs far more importantly though

How has Naby Keita from Leipzig not been mentioned he is Kante with passing ability.

Quite like the look of Afriyie Acquah at Torino. He looks as if he could handle the pace and physicality of the league; he also looks as if he could sit when needed but also burst forward with the ball.

Not everyone needs to be a technically gifted and creative player. I wish pep would change his philosophy on this one because there's plenty of creativity and attacking force in the players we already have (Plus any potential signing) If we sign attacking full backs then someone sat in front of the defence is an absolute must otherwise we'll be just as exposed as before, maybe even more so.

Everyone in the league knows to sit deep against us and counter and when that happens I'd want an out and out dm to break things up for the better footballers and protect the back 4. Who that person is though I don't know.

We still need full backs far more importantly though

...I think the evidence is that everyone does need to be technically gifted and the pivot does need some creativity as well. We want an Alonso, Busquets type of player, not a De Jong (much as I love Nige).

Kev & Silva live very high up the pitch, and we want them making runs into the box, so when the guy behind them gets the ball he needs to be able to get it to them quickly and with high quality passes, and spray balls over the top for the wingers, or switch play to them with 30-40m cross field passes..

He also needs to be able to take the ball under a lot of pressure when we play out from the back, and make lots of short accurate passes quickly to beat the press.

We definitely do need someone who can screen the defence and offer protection, but we need all these other duties taken care of as well.

And they need to be physical too, and reasonably quick.

It's a really hard position to fill but there's a reason it's called the pivot...it's the focal point of the team.

We basically need a young Yaya, with a slightly more defensive disposition.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.