Deliberately knocked off my pushbike by angry motorist

These are obviously extreme examples. Round where I live, there's many a cycle path that are not on the road, as in they run parallel with the road but are separated by a pavement or grass embankment etc, yet cyclists opt to drive in the road instead which is a far riskier approach.

I said "IF" this was the case as well, as I'm unsure what the OP's scenario was, but it does often happen
A lot of these types of cycle routes require the cyclist to stop at junction after junction, or if they have right of way, many a driver will just plough across until they meet the main carriageway, so a seasoned cyclist will naturally slow down as a precaution. Also, the start of these routes are usually pitifully sign posted, so sometimes the cyclist just doesn't see the entrance. Then you'll get pedestrians, dogs, pushchairs, scrambler bikes in them as well.

Road cyclists want to try and keep momentum as much as possible. Continual stops are a right pain.

I’ve been driving for 30 years, bikes, cars, articulated trucks, and see zero reason why I can’t ride on the road.. if this were central London or Amsterdam for example with well managed working routes fair enough but for my needs i need to use the road... it’s not rocket science and even in this case the guy could (should) have passed me in the space he had...

As another poster said, I am often safer to taje a central line and make people overtake as they would a car but that’s possibly penalising the majority to cater for the minority

What are your 'needs' that mean you can't ride on a cycle path?

What are your 'needs' that mean you can't ride on a cycle path?
I ride for training / health reasons and therefore ride the distance non-stop in circa 30 minutes.. to stop start for the very small sections where there are dedicated cycle paths on the route I use would make the ~9 miles I do 5 days a week pointless

I ride for training / health reasons and therefore ride the distance non-stop in circa 30 minutes.. to stop start for the very small sections where there are dedicated cycle paths on the route I use would make the ~9 miles I do 5 days a week pointless

Did this section where you were hit have a cycle road/pathway as an alternative?

I guess all I'm saying is that there's plenty of times where a bike lane is available away/separated from the road and people choose to take the risk of using the road anyway.
In your case it seems the driver reacted completely out of line with a normal response. However, if you did happen to be tonking along undertaking a moving vehicle at 25/30mph when a cycle path was actually available, then it may not be as one sided as it seems

Did this section where you were hit have a cycle road/pathway as an alternative?

I guess all I'm saying is that there's plenty of times where a bike lane is available away/separated from the road and people choose to take the risk of using the road anyway.
In your case it seems the driver reacted completely out of line with a normal response. However, if you did happen to be tonking along undertaking a moving vehicle at 25/30mph when a cycle path was actually available, then it may not be as one sided as it seems
Try them out over a few weeks then come back here with your experiences.

Try them out over a few weeks then come back here with your experiences.

Fair point, I've never used them since my commute is far too long to cycle (for me anyway), however if I was cycling I'd be taking the cycle paths that are away from the roads where available, much safer.
It's impatience that leads to cycling on the roads by all the arguments presented here - "it's a hassle to stop and start", "there might be pedestrians" etc. Small price to pay to remove the risks of being knocked off

No cycle path where it happened ... there’s a narrow path but it’s more dangerous than the road in my opinion... i’ll end up with a turbo-trainer or a Watt Bike / OnePeloton bike but that will be a shame as I really enjoy the freedom and getting out of the home office for a short while

The alternative is the local Dee Cycle route but I couldn’t make that work in my lunch break ( essential as it’s daylight)

That’s not the point of the thread.
What is. Do we all have to say didums it’s a shame. Motorists were getting a bad press and I merely pointed out that some, not all cyclists can be a pain in the arse also. As some one has already said we should all be more considerate,starting with cyclists not cutting up cars at traffic lights, riding 2 abreast or undertaking on the inside.

No cycle path where it happened ... there’s a narrow path but it’s more dangerous than the road in my opinion... i’ll end up with a turbo-trainer or a Watt Bike / OnePeloton bike but that will be a shame as I really enjoy the freedom and getting out of the home office for a short while

The alternative is the local Dee Cycle route but I couldn’t make that work in my lunch break ( essential as it’s daylight)
They'll be asking what you were wearing next to check you weren't asking for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.