Deliberately knocked off my pushbike by angry motorist

Fair point, I've never used them since my commute is far too long to cycle (for me anyway), however if I was cycling I'd be taking the cycle paths that are away from the roads where available, much safer.
It's impatience that leads to cycling on the roads by all the arguments presented here - "it's a hassle to stop and start", "there might be pedestrians" etc. Small price to pay to remove the risks of being knocked off
Those arguments are not signs of impatience. Stop/starting can be difficult because the best way to commute is to try and achieve a steady pace. It's not racing, it's efficiency. And here, we're talking about every 100yds or so, no cyclist will use it. If there's pedestrians, then we're in the old cycling on pavements argument. On a highway, every user (almost) has undergone technical training on how to use their vehicles including how to avoid and other users. Pedestrians haven't.

What is. Do we all have to say didums it’s a shame. Motorists were getting a bad press and I merely pointed out that some, not all cyclists can be a pain in the arse also. As some one has already said we should all be more considerate,starting with cyclists not cutting up cars at traffic lights, riding 2 abreast or undertaking on the inside.
Undertaking? You think it's safer for cyclists to overtake where they have oncoming traffic?

Surely cyclists can only undertake if you're in a slow moving queue, unless you're Miss Daisy. A cyclist can't overtake in normal speed traffic as the car can just accelerate away at any point leaving the rider stranded mid carriageway.

Undertaking? You'll like this one.

Back in the day, myself and a few mates decided we'd do the Manchester to Blackpool bike ride for The Christie. It's normally the first weekend in July.
Anyway, we were doing training probably, 3 evenings per week, during April / May as the days were getting longer in preparation for the big day.
One evening, off the cuff, I decide to cycle to an old schoolmates who, with his wife, had just bought a new house in Stretford.
So, bottle of champagne wrapped in a towel, into rucksack and off I go.
So, I'm cycling down Deansgate in Town, early evening traffic heavy.
For those that don't know, Deansgate is the main thoroughfare through the city, which runs North - South (ish), with numerous pubs, restaurants, terrace café bars etc.
Now, when you're cycling, and approaching traffic lights, you kind of try and pace yourself, so that as the lights change, you still have momentum and can cycle through without stopping.
However, as you obviously get the jump on cars stopped at the red light, you are then 'undertaking' said cars.
So Joe **** (me), is flying up the inside of a line of cars, none of which are indicating to turn left.
Then this Doris, does swing a left, hits me, I go flying over the handlebars, she doesn't even know and carries on driving away.
I bounce up, hoping nobody had seen, to see loads of people in this bar pissing themselves laughing, as I try and re-straighten the handlebars on the bike.
'kin embarrassing. That put an end to the undertaking.
PS. Champers survived the accident.

Undertaking? You'll like this one.

Back in the day, myself and a few mates decided we'd do the Manchester to Blackpool bike ride for The Christie. It's normally the first weekend in July.
Anyway, we were doing training probably, 3 evenings per week, during April / May as the days were getting longer in preparation for the big day.
One evening, off the cuff, I decide to cycle to an old schoolmates who, with his wife, had just bought a new house in Stretford.
So, bottle of champagne wrapped in a towel, into rucksack and off I go.
So, I'm cycling down Deansgate in Town, early evening traffic heavy.
For those that don't know, Deansgate is the main thoroughfare through the city, which runs North - South (ish), with numerous pubs, restaurants, terrace café bars etc.
Now, when you're cycling, and approaching traffic lights, you kind of try and pace yourself, so that as the lights change, you still have momentum and can cycle through without stopping.
However, as you obviously get the jump on cars stopped at the red light, you are then 'undertaking' said cars.
So Joe **** (me), is flying up the inside of a line of cars, none of which are indicating to turn left.
Then this Doris, does swing a left, hits me, I go flying over the handlebars, she doesn't even know and carries on driving away.
I bounce up, hoping nobody had seen, to see loads of people in this bar pissing themselves laughing, as I try and re-straighten the handlebars on the bike.
'kin embarrassing. That put an end to the undertaking.
PS. Champers survived the accident.
So you didn't lose yer Bollinger's then!

Undertaking? You think it's safer for cyclists to overtake where they have oncoming traffic?

Surely cyclists can only undertake if you're in a slow moving queue, unless you're Miss Daisy. A cyclist can't overtake in normal speed traffic as the car can just accelerate away at any point leaving the rider stranded mid carriageway.
The problem with undertaking is cyclists do it at their normal speeds sometimes. Take the bus lanes, the cyclists go in them and travel at full pelt. What they forget is bus lanes have breaks in them for cars to turn left. The bikes travel so fast the cars don’t sometimes see them. Car hits bike and cops for the blame

I ride for training / health reasons and therefore ride the distance non-stop in circa 30 minutes.. to stop start for the very small sections where there are dedicated cycle paths on the route I use would make the ~9 miles I do 5 days a week pointless
I do question your consideration for other road users when I hear things like “ ride the distance non stop for 30 minutes” and “stop start would make the journey pointless”. We all have to stop, start in consideration of others using the roads.

The problem with undertaking is cyclists do it at their normal speeds sometimes. Take the bus lanes, the cyclists go in them and travel at full pelt. What they forget is bus lanes have breaks in them for cars to turn left. The bikes travel so fast the cars don’t sometimes see them. Car hits bike and cops for the blame
The mirrors on the side can be useful for those.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.