Deliberately knocked off my pushbike by angry motorist

The problem with undertaking is cyclists do it at their normal speeds sometimes. Take the bus lanes, the cyclists go in them and travel at full pelt. What they forget is bus lanes have breaks in them for cars to turn left. The bikes travel so fast the cars don’t sometimes see them. Car hits bike and cops for the blame
That's not undertaking, that's two lanes of traffic where the car isn't allowed in one of the lanes but has to manoeuvre across said lane by (hopefully) first slowing down, then checking it is safe to complete the manoeuvre. However I can tell you cyclists aren't keen on that kind of road layout either.

I do question your consideration for other road users when I hear things like “ ride the distance non stop for 30 minutes” and “stop start would make the journey pointless”. We all have to stop, start in consideration of others using the roads.
I stop when conditions dictate eg traffic lights and the like or to give way to other road users and expect the same in return. so no need to assume I have no consideration for others.. my only point was a stop start journey via cycle paths wouldn’t be as beneficial

I do question your consideration for other road users when I hear things like “ ride the distance non stop for 30 minutes” and “stop start would make the journey pointless”. We all have to stop, start in consideration of others using the roads.

This was my point as well - came over a bit entitled or "my cycling is too good for cycle paths". Standard attitude that gives cyclists a bad name really.

I stop when conditions dictate eg traffic lights and the like or to give way to other road users and expect the same in return. so no need to assume I have no consideration for others.. my only point was a stop start journey via cycle paths wouldn’t be as beneficial

Would be safer though - as demonstrated

The whole idea of cycle paths is to keep cyclists away from pedestrians and motorists. What’s the point of having them if they are not used. It sounds to me that you like to travel at a fair lick , only stopping when absolutely necessary. There will always be a chance of an accident, not necessarily your fault,when your intention is to get from A to B in the shortest possible time.To be honest that is my general experience of cyclists whether they travel on tow paths through parks pavements etc.

The whole idea of cycle paths is to keep cyclists away from pedestrians and motorists. What’s the point of having them if they are not used. It sounds to me that you like to travel at a fair lick , only stopping when absolutely necessary. There will always be a chance of an accident, not necessarily your fault,when your intention is to get from A to B in the shortest possible time.To be honest that is my general experience of cyclists whether they travel on tow paths through parks pavements etc.
I’m a **** then I guess... I have 30 plus years driving experience and employ it... nothing I did could have warranted the reaction and therefore , as I can’t assume I won’t meet another road user like this guy, i’ll Likely go down the spin bike route now... i’m also going to hang my motorcycling boots up too., it feels like the right thing to do

I’m a **** then I guess... I have 30 plus years driving experience and employ it... nothing I did could have warranted the reaction and therefore , as I can’t assume I won’t meet another road user like this guy, i’ll Likely go down the spin bike route now... i’m also going to hang my motorcycling boots up too., it feels like the right thing to do

Maybe undertaking him at 30mph on a roundabout wound him up a bit? Just a guess though.

Wish you a speedy recovery nonetheless

Admit it, you just don't want to share the road with cyclists. Cycle paths are not always safer, as you are now combining cycles with pedestrians. That's a vehicle sharing a path with non-vehicles. Cycling on the road is a vehicle sharing with other vehicles and it should work. The vast majority of accidents involving cars are the driver not being attentive enough. You can't usually blame the object they crash into.

It always amazes me how many ride on roads in dark clothing with no lights on, are they delivering a fuckin' box of milk tray or something?.

Seriously though, those responsible cyclists who have lights that motorists can see, and have hi-viz clothing on are more likely to be seen and not knocked off their bike.

All the best to the @Bluemanc100, hope you're on the mend blue: )

Admit it, you just don't want to share the road with cyclists. Cycle paths are not always safer, as you are now combining cycles with pedestrians. That's a vehicle sharing a path with non-vehicles. Cycling on the road is a vehicle sharing with other vehicles and it should work. The vast majority of accidents involving cars are the driver not being attentive enough. You can't usually blame the object they crash into.
Honestly I don't have a problem with cyclists generally. Its the lycra mob on their racing bikes or the off roader mountain bikers that ride down towpaths or walkways at great speed that piss me off. Its the sanctimonious attitude of some of the lycra camera wearing mob who think they own the road that causes most of the problems. Them stupid lights they wear on their helmets at night are worse than high beam when they travel en-mass down country lanes.. You also see them on the country roads flying down hill in the middle of the road with little thought for anyone or anything coming in the opposite direction. I am obviously generalising a bit but there are far more like that than are just going for a nice pleasurable ride along the road. Bikes should have some sort of registration number and pay a road fee. Believe me, if they do any damage they don't hang around. I have seen them kick out at cars then cycle off despite the fact it was them that cut in front of cars.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.