Depression, addressing it and moving on / anti depressants

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by oman0115, 18 May 2017.

1. PinkFinal

PinkFinal

They offered me counseling but I told them I'd learned to live with my misery and didn't want any cans of worms opening.

Counseling has never worked for me.

2. Bigga

Bigga

Father/ Boys' u8's Climbing Frame!
    The Blue Buus... is callin us... Driver, where you
    I feel for you. First of all, let me congratulate you on identifying the issue you need to tackle. That's ownership and, believe it or not, one of the biggest steps you can make towards stepping into the ring with your personal battle. The hardest fight is preparing to fight what's waiting for you.

I told another poster what I firmly believe, that fighting the fight you want to naturally run away from is the only way you get to the other side.

Yes, exercise, but that has to go hand in hand being ready to fight back.

How far can rock bottom be? As far as you want to fall.

But, luckily, you're ready to halt the fall and you can't dismiss that important aspect.

Maybe a counsellor will work for you; it didn't for me. I found them soft actioning when I wanted them to shake me and make me fight.

So I did it myself when I'd had enough of being scared of confronting the issue.

From the depth of a mental hospital 17ish years ago to here imploring you to fight.

Only when you're ready...

What the absolute fook??!! Have you ever been depressed via life experience?

What has a chemical restructure got to do with the OP's IDENTIFIED problem? He knows EXACTLY WHY he's depressed!!

I understand what you're talking about, but this is not the same thing!

Unless, of course, the OP has a hormonal imbalance that leads along the same lines as bipolar, schizophrenia etc., then I would agree!

3. lafitz2008

lafitz2008

If you go down the chemical route, I've found sertraline very helpful.
    Rough initial side effects and ya can put yer back out trying to orgasm but they take the edge off some of the shit life throws at you.

Good luck whatever ya do.... Things will get better

4. Trevor Morley's Tache

Trevor Morley's Tache

Doing stuff
    My old boss had severe undiagnosed PTSD for years and was self medicating with booze. Not in a full blown alcoholic way, but definitely drank too much. It all came to a head after a confrontation with a senior manager after a completely unrelated incident, and he pretty much lost the plot for a while. I recognised his symptoms, and between me and one of the other guys at our place we urged him to seek help. He has since had months of counselling, and was on some serious doses of anti-depressants and anti-psychotics for a long time, which thankfully he is off all his med's but he did have to be weaned off them very slowly. His treatment for PTSD is complete now, but his issues haven't been completely fixed. His Doctor has said that he is as good as he is going to get. He still gets flashbacks and has bad dreams, but he has a handle on it now. He has since moved on to a completely new career and is doing very well.

I urge people to research mental First Aid; especially those of you who are employers. Mental illness doesn't come with a bandage or sling, but if you know what to look for you can recognise it in others. it If you work for a big organisation (NHS/Police/School/University etc), find out if you are able to do a course. You have an obligation to your employees and colleagues to look out for them, even if it is only to listen to their problems every once in a while.

5. MillisleBlue

MillisleBlue

Also helps to remember that conditions like anxiety / depression are incredibly common. Fairly certain I've read that 1 in 4 people will, at some time in their lives, suffer from recognised mental health issues. It's reassuring that most will successfully overcome their illness and become stronger too.

6. Raheem's On Fire

Raheem's On Fire

Not a fan of The Verve??

7. The Silver Surfer

The Silver Surfer

Runner for Galactus
    I've struggled with depression for years and went to the doctor 5/6 times always willing to try different medications but the side effects were so terrible I always knocked them on the head. Turning around, going dizzy, ears vibrating and a knife slicing your brain isn't pleasant or feeling like you will burst into tears in public.
    I stopped trying them for a couple of years until I started incorrectly accusing my wife of trying to fuck things up and make my life harder for me. Then I knew I needed to sort myself out.
    I went into depth with my GP about everything and she put me on Ducloxetine (sp).
    There were still some side effects but no where near a bad, although my knob would shrivel up and became completely non responsive :(
    Anyway, I started on a small dose and I am now on 60mg of it and I can honestly say the old me is back. I feel 20 again. Even though my wife is disabled (I'm her carer) and I've got 2 teenagers playing up all the time I can cope much better, laugh at things and feel excited again. I've picked up my old interests and fallen in love with my wife again.
    I still have days where I plummet back to where I was but they are much fewer now.
    They are absolutely right that it's about finding a drug that works for YOU.

Now I feel happier it is much more easy to exercise.
    I go swimming or bike ride 5 times a week now and it makes me feel even better.
    Even my knob has returned and is functioning again. :))

Good luck OP, I've been there, but with help there IS a way back.

Stay positive bud.

8. arfurclue

arfurclue

Some good stuff one here OP. Truth is you will find your own way that suits you best. Sometimes I find there are two basic ways of looking at depression -
    one is that it is an illness to be fixed and/or managed, the other is that it is just a stage along the way to knowing a deeper happiness than before. Not to say
    which is 'right' or 'wrong' for you - indeed you might end up exploring/using bits of both.

9. stonerblue

stonerblue

rambler
    Stay away from the pills. Whilst they may ease your depression they will also take away any joy you may have.

10. Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

Dave Ewing's Back 'eader

Exercise and a City ST.