Diabetes

The issue I am going to discuss with my Dr is the calorie amount because I have a genuine fear of having a hypo with 600 calories a day. I can't see the harm in cutting out carbs to see how I go and it's worth a shot.

You could buy a glucose monitor and keep a close eye on it. You have to be careful particularly if on meds as some more likely to cause hypos and this can be a problem if you drive.

The Newcastle diet is hard but having seen the result of badly controlled Diabetes- If I got diagnosed with it I would do anything to get rid of it (ideally without Meds- although if it wasn't getting reversed meds might be the only option).

All advice welcome Karen I'm going to set this down as a personal goal of mine.
It takes a while to get into this way of eating so take your time and plan it,the low calorie part of it is not as important as eating well,i found my calories dropping as i got used to eating less so that might the way to start off,good luck and keep us posted

You could buy a glucose monitor and keep a close eye on it. You have to be careful particularly if on meds as some more likely to cause hypos and this can be a problem if you drive.

The Newcastle diet is hard but having seen the result of badly controlled Diabetes- If I got diagnosed with it I would do anything to get rid of it (ideally without Meds- although if it wasn't getting reversed meds might be the only option).

I have had a monitor for years and use it regularly

At present I am on 2000mg of metformin
A statin
glimepiride
80ml of Lantus insulin
20ml of Novo Rapid

I have been on this regime of medication for a few years, prior to that I was just taking tablets mate.

It takes a while to get into this way of eating so take your time and plan it,the low calorie part of it is not as important as eating well,i found my calories dropping as i got used to eating less so that might the way to start off,good luck and keep us posted

I will Karen anything has got to be better than dropping tablets every day and injecting myself 3 times a day.

The issue I am going to discuss with my Dr is the calorie amount because I have a genuine fear of having a hypo with 600 calories a day. I can't see the harm in cutting out carbs to see how I go and it's worth a shot.
600 calories is surely not sustainable over any period of time. I'm currently on a diet programme thats cut out all dairy, bread, pasta, processed meats etc and what ive found the biggest change is the snacking on crap which ove totally stopped. I effectively have 3 meals a day and combine that with exercise. That equates most days to around 1500 calories a day and that just about keeps me going. Feel so much better for it now, though the first 4 weeks approx were really hard work.

Fantastic stuff BOJ do you feel healthier? will you modify your diet later on when you're completely stable?

To be honest I feel and look better knowing that I've lost weight.
I'm still tired at the moment but that hopefully will change when I start to exercise. It's difficult enough with my job but on 800 calories there's not a lot of spare energy.
I think my lifestyle will change. Deffo no more cakes or bread. Maybe the odd bag of chips. I'll start drinking again but only in moderation. To be fair I've been cutting down anyway.

I have had a monitor for years and use it regularly

At present I am on 2000mg of metformin
A statin
glimepiride
80mg of Lantus insulin
20mg of Novo Rapid

I have been on this regime of medication for a few years, prior to that I was just taking tablets mate.

Im not gonna give specific medical advice on here as that would be daft without knowing your history etc but if you are on all those meds you will get massive improvements quite quickly just by getting the basics right through exercising and being careful about what you are eat. Have a look at the diabetes.co.uk stuff. With those meds I would be a bit more worried about starting the Newcastle diet but some do. Ask your GP if they have a PARS (physical activity referral service) you could be sent to (thats the 12 weeks thing someone mentioned above).

Any changes you start to make will have a positive impact and begin to reduce your need for those medications (over time) exercising doesn't mean going to the gym simply doing things that raise your heart rate ideally something you enjoy, but even if it just a short walk every day- its the consistency that counts same with the diet.

I haven't used this with any patients yet so cant comment on success but would something like https://www.manvfatfootball.org/Home/Registration appeal to you? I think theres a stockport group.

So you'd just avoid all carbs then and eat normally apart from that? I don't touch sugar in any form other than natural sugar in food.

What I would do is keep carbs to a minimum look up a ketogenic diet basically you change from a sugar burner to a fat burner, it's not all about calories in calories out hormones like leptin, Grehlin and insulin play a huge role in weight control. Get plenty of quality sleep, stress raises cortisol levels which can also raise blood sugars.

I would invest in a glucose meter, start recording your fasting blood sugar then 1/2 hours post meal. Record what you you've eaten and see what foods are spiking your sugars then eliminate or restrict them.

Im not gonna give specific medical advice on here as that would be daft without knowing your history etc but if you are on all those meds you will get massive improvements quite quickly just by getting the basics right through exercising and being careful about what you are eat. Have a look at the diabetes.co.uk stuff. With those meds I would be a bit more worried about starting the Newcastle diet but some do. Ask your GP if they have a PARS (physical activity referral service) you could be sent to (thats the 12 weeks thing someone mentioned above).

Any changes you start to make will have a positive impact and begin to reduce your need for those medications (over time) exercising doesn't mean going to the gym simply doing things that raise your heart rate ideally something you enjoy, but even if it just a short walk every day- its the consistency that counts same with the diet.

I haven't used this with any patients yet so cant comment on success but would something like https://www.manvfatfootball.org/Home/Registration appeal to you? I think theres a stockport group.

I have an appointment with my diabetic nurse set up for tomorrow afternoon and will mention PARS to her as well as the low to none carb diet thanks mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.