Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2014/15 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe he's already done the negotiating he needs to? Or perhaps, it's the Wolfsburg cup final tomorrow and Pogba has a CL final to look forward to, so little can be done in that regard, whilst he also has a relationship with NYCFC and was perhaps required on the trip.

Ultimately though, he wouldn't be on the trip if it wasn't required of him for whatever reason, and the club would not allow for our transfer strategy to be put on hold so Txiki can go on a jolly to Toronto.

p.s. Don't claim a Clarkie, it doesn't wash.
He is responsible for first team matters and that is why he is there.

And for the umpteenth time, with squad we curently have, we play better with one striker which has been borne out by our results. Its very simple really, but you dogmatically refuse to look at this season's facts and instead choose to start dragging up Inter's current manager who has nothing to do with City. What are you going to drag up next, Kevin Keegan's managerial record and formations, John Bond's, Joe Mercer's?

The past is the past but I'll humour you for a while longer. So go on then, show us the PL formations from 3 years ago for each match.......... I await the 'I haven't got the time to prove my statement' or 'If you were watching on TV like me you'd know the formations' or 'If you knew as much about football as I do, you'd already know'. So come on, I await this one with interest........... :-)
I think we all agree that MP was forced to change things, but in my honest opinion this had more to do with the perception that his job was under threat. Perhaps Kompany's injury played a part in this too, but I don't think that was the main reason because when Yaya was fit enough, he was straight back in whilst Kompany remained on the bench. Just like the end of last season, when Pellegrini needed results he turned to a 5-man midfield which won a title and cemented 2nd place 12 months later. Again like you I agree that it's baffling why Pellegrini didn't change things before Chelsea were out of site especially considering the run of results we had in December when injuries forced change.

This season has gone now but the question remains; Has MP learned from this season's mistakes? I didn't see the match against Toronto, but now the pressure is off I understand we started with Dzeko & Bony which suggests next season we'll be back to his preferrede 442 albeit with additional personnel. Will Txiki buy players to suit Peller's 442 or with him entering the final 12 months of his contract will he buy with the future in mind for the next manager?

Now that everyone has sussed out our weaknesses when playing 4222, utilising Aguero as a single striker seems to be our most effective option. It should be the default system when closing out the season and in the CL and other big games.

The question is how often can we play that system over the course of a season without running Aguero into the ground? In a 50-55 match season, I dont think he should start more than 20-25 games in that role. Otherwise he's going to be knackered by Christmas. He could play a few more games as part of a two, but not on is own. We shouldnt rule out playing a two up front in some games simply to manage Aguero's workload.

I dont believe that Dzeko or Jovetic are particularly effective playing as a single striker, so don't really blame MP for not playing one up front on a regular basis, although he should have played it more often often than he did.

Bony seems to be more suitable in that role and hopefully will be able to contibute more next season.

Now that everyone has sussed out our weaknesses when playing 4222, utilising Aguero as a single striker seems to be our most effective option. It should be the default system when closing out the season and in the CL and other big games.

The question is how often can we play that system over the course of a season without running Aguero into the ground? In a 50-55 match season, I dont think he should start more than 20-25 games in that role. Otherwise he's going to be knackered by Christmas. He could play a few more games as part of a two, but not on is own. We shouldnt rule out playing a two up front in some games simply to manage Aguero's workload.

I dont believe that Dzeko or Jovetic are particularly effective playing as a single striker, so don't really blame MP for not playing one up front on a regular basis, although he should have played it more often often than he did.

Bony seems to be more suitable in that role and hopefully will be able to contibute more next season.

If Aguero wants to be considered on the same level as Messi and Ronaldo he's going to have to start pulling out some 45+ game seasons. No way would you limit someone of his talent to 20-25 games.

That would be where Bony comes into the equation to provide, cover & competition so there's no reason why we can't stick to our strongest formation. On many levels, a strict 442/4222 with the personnel we have doesn't make any sense and like I've pointed out, our results and performance back this up in comparison to playing with a lone striker.

with whats on offer in the market (managers) we would be daft not to be looking at Klopp or Ancelotti but long term would they come knowing pep guardiola is our main choice if he comes available right now. I would give pellegrini the money with the FFP gone this summer and next season to see the new signing have worked or not then if guardiola wants the job next summer move pellegrini up stairs or to the EDS

So since people use this thread to lick Txiki's arse... Looks like his supposed long term plan of Viera will collapse if he goes to Newcastle.

So since people use this thread to lick Txiki's arse... Looks like his supposed long term plan of Viera will collapse if he goes to Newcastle.

I thought you were angry because Pep was our long term plan? Are you now angry because our EDS coach might get another job? Are we blaming Txiki for global warming too?

Never has a more able man been more misunderstood by the great unwashed than what has happened with Begiristain on Bluemoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.