Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
My current position with Pellegrini is that he came in to steady the 'Mancini rocked' ship, and did that just by being a complete opposite character to Mancini. I believe the first season double was more down to the players being re-invigorated post Mancinis departure than any masterful approach by Pellegrini. We were promised a certain style of football when he came, which we're still waiting to see. When I look at our squad, the players we had and have brought in, and the results we've had, there is no question we are collectively worse than the individual talent. Taking blue tinted specs off, I still only see 2 or 3 players from any other prem team making our first team, and yet we lie 3rd, look ordinary in Europe and don't seem to be learning. When he leaves, I'll have no feelings either way. I'm still deliriously happy as a city fan, I'm not acting spoilt, but we should be doing better.

My current position with Pellegrini is that he came in to steady the 'Mancini rocked' ship, and did that just by being a complete opposite character to Mancini. I believe the first season double was more down to the players being re-invigorated post Mancinis departure than any masterful approach by Pellegrini. We were promised a certain style of football when he came, which we're still waiting to see. When I look at our squad, the players we had and have brought in, and the results we've had, there is no question we are collectively worse than the individual talent. Taking blue tinted specs off, I still only see 2 or 3 players from any other prem team making our first team, and yet we lie 3rd, look ordinary in Europe and don't seem to be learning. When he leaves, I'll have no feelings either way. I'm still deliriously happy as a city fan, I'm not acting spoilt, but we should be doing better.

You raise several fair points. If we spin that then and look at our "squad players", how many of them would get in the first team of the top 4 clubs. Just putting that out there

You raise several fair points. If we spin that then and look at our "squad players", how many of them would get in the first team of the top 4 clubs. Just putting that out there
Obviously depends where you draw the line at the term "squad player", but most of them I'd say. Our most definitive squad player of the past 4 years was made captain at Liverpool. Not presently top 4, but top 2 a short while back.

Obviously depends where you draw the line at the term "squad player", but most of them I'd say. Our most definitive squad player of the past 4 years was made captain at Liverpool. Not presently top 4, but top 2 a short while back.

Indeed the term Squad Player is subjective as most have their own first team favourites. On this seasons showing, I'm not sure many at all would be automatic starters for the other Top 4 clubs. I believe we have seen the best of several of them, but their name / reputation seems to give them some extra points.

Indeed the term Squad Player is subjective as most have their own first team favourites. On this seasons showing, I'm not sure many at all would be automatic starters for the other Top 4 clubs. I believe we have seen the best of several of them, but their name / reputation seems to give them some extra points.
I think you've just echoed my view. "On this seasons showing". This season we're not pulling our weight. There is significant talent in this squad. We see it fleetingly.

My thoughts exactly

I think you've just echoed my view. "On this seasons showing". This season we're not pulling our weight. There is significant talent in this squad. We see it fleetingly.

Not sure I have. I'm not convinced we will see this "talent" again (e.g. Zab/Nasri/Yaya), and some of them wouldn't get in even at their best (Willy/Bony). Final question, do you think Sterling would be guaranteed starter for them?

Take a step back. In a few days time we could be top of the league, in the last 16 of the Champions League and League Cup semi-finalists despite missing our very best players.

I realise the slump could continue. Once these things start to roll, they just snowball, but the major influence on our game at the moment are the injuries to our very best players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.