Do you really believe the league is over...?

I was looking at the number of games played. December and January at 9 and 8, were the most demanding months. In February we only have 5 games. March is 6 + 1 FA Cup match if we get past Wigan. There was a freshness about the team against Leicester and Basel which probably came from the drop off in the schedule.
April is 4 PL games + 1 Champions League (if we get to the semis) and 1 FA cup (if we get to the semis).
So, we have come through the most demanding schedule and sit 16 points ahead in the league.
The schedule ahead is much less demanding, fixture-wise: February; 5, March; 7, April; 6 (March and April assuming maximum progress in cups).
There can be little doubt that the league is in the bag. The days are getting longer, the players are getting more time for recovery, and injured players are returning.
Looking good.

That December and January period coincided with some key absentees, too. Silva, Stones, Sane, Jesus and Delph along with Mendy and Foden. In fact the link is probably at least partly causal. As the schedule gets easier the squad gets stronger. It's very good news that we can rest players v Basel, in fact it'sa double whammy as we can give the second string players another Champions League game - Foden, Dias, Bravo, Danilo etc.

I was looking at the number of games played. December and January at 9 and 8, were the most demanding months. In February we only have 5 games. March is 6 + 1 FA Cup match if we get past Wigan. There was a freshness about the team against Leicester and Basel which probably came from the drop off in the schedule.
April is 4 PL games + 1 Champions League (if we get to the semis) and 1 FA cup (if we get to the semis).
So, we have come through the most demanding schedule and sit 16 points ahead in the league.
The schedule ahead is much less demanding, fixture-wise: February; 5, March; 7, April; 6 (March and April assuming maximum progress in cups).
There can be little doubt that the league is in the bag. The days are getting longer, the players are getting more time for recovery, and injured players are returning.
Looking good.

That is a good overview and due to key absences during that time we have had a lot of players playing most of those games. Rest and rotation over the coming games will mean their fitness and conditioning will be excellent for the knockout ganes to come which is great news. Foden, Stones, Laporte, Mendy, Jesus, Sane, Silva, Delph have all had time off through injuries or otherwise.

That is an incredible group of players who can now build match fitness and allow others to rest whilst retaining our level and ensuring performances improve rather than decline.

I think some of the games we play could get easier to win e,g. if we are playing a team that need three points in a relegation fight, they are hardly going to Park the bus hoping to get a point that may be of no use. They will attack, then we punish them in the space left, so for me, it’s when not if we are champions.

IF we win the league and win it with several matches left, would we get a guard of honour off every team we play after winning it, or would it just be the one game immediately after winning it?

City are now too good for me to think along any lines that include the notion "assuming U****d beat us."

The thing is we can have a potentially large say in this happening -

Obviously first and foremost we need to beat them at Etihad.....

But us losing to Spurs and Chelsea would certainly help the cause....

Now would we be happy to lose 2 more games if it meant them finishing outside top 4 ????????? Hmmmmm
No way should we nor will we be throwing games to try and contribute to their downfall. If it happens naturally then it'd be fun but it wouldn't be professional or principled of us to do it intentionally.

Looking good.

I think you’ll find April’s schedule will dwarf what has gone before if we reach the FA and CL Semi Finals. It will be a game every 3/4 days with some high profile extremely important fixtures to boot.
Brighton in the League would likely be rearranged inbetween Spurs away and an FAC Semi Final.
We could end up playing Spurs/Scum in 3 competitions over the space of 3 weeks. Or we could get Madrid/Barca/Bayern/PSG and know we are in for 180 minutes of physical and mental torture.
Thankfully as you say, we’ve done the hard graft in the league to allow us some breathing space there but I think April is set up for a monster month of important knock out fixtures which for me would be seen as the most demanding of the season, perhaps mentally more than physically as the big prizes appear closer on the horizon.

I think you’ll find April’s schedule will dwarf what has gone before if we reach the FA and CL Semi Finals. It will be a game every 3/4 days with some high profile extremely important fixtures to boot.
Brighton in the League would likely be rearranged inbetween Spurs away and an FAC Semi Final.
We could end up playing Spurs/Scum in 3 competitions over the space of 3 weeks. Or we could get Madrid/Barca/Bayern/PSG and know we are in for 180 minutes of physical and mental torture.
Thankfully as you say, we’ve done the hard graft in the league to allow us some breathing space there but I think April is set up for a monster month of important knock out fixtures which for me would be seen as the most demanding of the season, perhaps mentally more than physically as the big prizes appear closer on the horizon.
What a predicament to be in, I'm loving it....!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.