Don Everly R.I.P

Sad news, the Everly's are up there with the best harmony acts, and Don and Phil also wrote songs, brilliant lyrics and heart wrenchingly beautiful music.
This is one of my favourite Everly Brothers songs, sung by another brilliant artist, Linda Ronstadt...

Up the Junction and Cool for Cats are mini stories, brilliant music. I saw Glen Tilbrook at the Witchwood in Ashton doing an acoustic set in front of about 200 people, the highlight was him doing a kind of conga around the room with everyone dancing behind him, tremendous night.
Me and the wife had tickets to see Glen Tilbrook at the Witchwood @1997 but we had to miss it as I had just taken a new job and was sent to Dunstable on a sales course . Absolutely gutted at the time!!

At our house my father played The Everly Brothers and Roy Orbison a lot. So even if I’m relatively young (44) for this music I regularly put it on. Also played On the wings of a nightingale at my father’s funeral last year.
Don’s passing feels a bit like something’s gone from my childhood as well.

Me and the wife had tickets to see Glen Tilbrook at the Witchwood @1997 but we had to miss it as I had just taken a new job and was sent to Dunstable on a sales course . Absolutely gutted at the time!!
He did a couple of gigs there, I saw him the second time on a Saturday night, it was fantastic to see a musician so close up, so talented and a great fella apparently, my mate met him in a local curry house prior to the gig and had a chat (no comment) with him, no airs or graces.

At our house my father played The Everly Brothers and Roy Orbison a lot. So even if I’m relatively young (44) for this music I regularly put it on. Also played On the wings of a nightingale at my father’s funeral last year.
Don’s passing feels a bit like something’s gone from my childhood as well.
Cherish the memories pal.

Saw them back in about 2004 when they were supporting Simon and Garfunkel at the MEN.
I'd grown up listening to their singles and loved them even as a kid. To then find out they were on the same bill was an added bonus to what was already a fantastic night.
Yes I was there, brilliant that the Everly’s performed I personally wanted them to do more.

I loved the Everly Brothers songs. This potted history centering on their famous on stage break up is worth reading.
Keith Richard was a huge fan of Don and often used Don's favourite Open G guitar tuning.
RIP Don.

RIP Don.

As a kid in the 80s I used to love listening to the 60s shows on the radio. The Everlys were one of those groups who had absolutely perfect harmonies and wonderful catchy songs. Just simple, short, absolutely brilliant pop music at its finest

It's no surprise that Lennon and McCartney based their harmonies on Don and Phil That's how good they were.

Forgot to add, when our son was a baby I'd sing Walk Right Back to him to get him to sleep. He loved it!

RIP and thanks for the wonderful music.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.