Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course not, but I believe he has the right to say whatever the hell he wants. Saying someone is a knob for saying something and saying they don't have the right to are different things.

I agree with you completely, but when you say "of course not" I am not sure I believe you. I think you do actually think it's becoming and logical for a President (any, not just this one) to say such things as long as it works to advance, further or underscore the agenda/platform he was elected upon. I think that's also where the crossed wires come with folks mistaking you for a supporter of his or his politics.

Of course not, but I believe he has the right to say whatever the hell he wants. Saying someone is a knob for saying something and saying they don't have the right to are different things.
And everyone else has the right to call him out for it.

I agree with you completely, but when you say "of course not" I am not sure I believe you. I think you do actually think it's becoming and logical for a President (any, not just this one) to say such things as long as it works to advance, further or underscore the agenda/platform he was elected upon. I think that's also where the crossed wires come with folks mistaking you for a supporter of his or his politics.

Perhaps. A better way of phrasing this is that I don't hold the reverence of office that many others do. Though I acknowledge that others do and they expect people to behave to a certain template and that's a perfectly reasonable position. Social trust is an important part of politics.

I think the POTUS should probably do whatever he can to get the agenda he was elected on pushed through. I'm just not sure how this specific incident can be justified with that.

Personally, I wouldn't care if the leader of the country danced a merry jig naked on the White House lawn covered in duck fat if it helped them express the will of the people which is what their job actually is.

Obviously there's a leadership aspect to this too, the "will of the people" is complicated and can't adjust to every possible situation so you have to do what's best for the country as a whole wherever possible. But if the choice comes down to what you think is right and what the people voted for, then you do what the people have voted for because we're the people who are meant to be deciding all of this stuff rather than one or two people in Westminster or Washington.

Democracy is the most sacred and the most delicate of all the institutions we have but also the most liberating. It requires constant protection from me, you, and everybody else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.