Donald Trump

Sad to say, many on the left, as well. I was reading my great grandfather’s diary from 1918 a few weeks ago and he spoke about men he worked with in the mill at the time talking about how Jews leaving Manchester would be the best thing for them. Most of them were active Liberal party agitators. He tried to keep his heritage quiet for fear of drawing the wrong attention. He even mentioned they were mostly quite angry women were being given the vote, as well.

Antisemitism and sexism was (and is) often politically indifferent.
Do you encounter antisemitism today?

Of course it was white males who rode dinosaurs. Who could possibly think otherwise :-)

As for fixing stupid... I'm not so sure that stupidity factors into this.

If I were raised as part of an evangelical family... would I have been able to spot the logical fallacies in the evangelical belief system - and, as an adult, come to reject their ideology?

I'd like to think so - but I'm the valedictorian of my high school class, a college graduate, and successful software engineer. My father was a PhD mathematician. In short - I like to think that I'm about as smart as the "average bear." :-)

But for those less-loving of math and science... would these folk have a good chance to reject evangelical dogma upon reaching adulthood?

I don't think it's a matter of stupidity - it's down to the ability to somehow overcome indoctrination.
I was brought up by a extreme right wing Christian father. I rejected all religion aged about 15. Aged about 65, he married an orthodox Jew, astonishing.

Of course it was white males who rode dinosaurs. Who could possibly think otherwise :-)

As for fixing stupid... I'm not so sure that stupidity factors into this.

If I were raised as part of an evangelical family... would I have been able to spot the logical fallacies in the evangelical belief system - and, as an adult, come to reject their ideology?

I'd like to think so - but I'm the valedictorian of my high school class, a college graduate, and successful software engineer. My father was a PhD mathematician. In short - I like to think that I'm about as smart as the "average bear." :-)

But for those less-loving of math and science... would these folk have a good chance to reject evangelical dogma upon reaching adulthood?

I don't think it's a matter of stupidity - it's down to the ability to somehow overcome indoctrination.

Do you have a Mensa membership too? :)

Do you encounter antisemitism today?
Today? No. But that is because I no longer interact with many people.

For most of my life prior to three years ago? Definitely. But it was mostly in Spain and in the US, though, I did experience it in school when I was younger.

It has gotten better overtime (at least in my experience) but has not gone away, even among some of the “enlightened” groups.

"Do you believe in Jesus Christ's divinity?"

"Yes."

"So you believe the bible is the truth?"

"Yes."

"ALL of the Bible, right? Because if some parts aren't true, maybe the the Gospels aren't and therefore Jesus might not have done all the things that were said of him."

"Right."

"In fact, the Bible must be literal truth, right?"

"Yes."

"OK. I have one word for you: dinosaurs."

"Oh fuck."

It's all a matter of connecting yourself to a belief structure and tying yourself to the mast in the face of evidence supporting contrary positions. It's the logic process those use to support Trump no matter what. They cannot accept contrary evidence that might shift their beliefs because their beliefs are all they have to guide them through this life and if they're shaken they have no roadmap, and therefore, no hope.
Bill Hicks summed it up rather well a few years ago.

How did they fit them on the ark?
A far more pertinent question about the Ark is ‘how did a small group of families go out across the entire world (including unknown North, South America, Australia and all the oceans islands), with enough food, storage capacity, capture ability and time, to get them back to the Ark and then do the reverse after the flood.

The ark boat part of the ark story is amazingly the most believable part of the most unbelievable fantasy.

Let's have a creationist thread and avoid clogging the Trump thread with a 200 year old debate that's only relevant because Trump panders to a part of his base that believes things that he only pretends to believe.

There again, do any reporters ever dare to test him on his biblical knowledge? Apart from the "favourite verse" question, it must be easy to expose his ignorance.

Anyway, the flood was worldwide. Just ask Sam Oglethwaite, the famous joiner from Bury who got caught in it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.