Dublin and the ROI

Churchlawtonblue

Just come back from a few days in the ROI and Dublin. Hadn't been to Dublin for about 30 years. Iast time I was there I remember thinking the City centre was quite small, not much bigger than Manchester, may have just been my impression. This time it seems alot bigger and had clearly grown in the last 30 years. Like last time it was and still is a very welcoming place to visit although a tad expensive at 7 euros for a pint of Smithwicks, more in Temple Bar apparently. Seemed much more touristy than last time. Sadly I was a bit shocked at the amount of homeless people begging , seemed to me that there were many more than in Manchester and London. The standard of busking needs to improve aswell as there were some pretty awful singers on show. But on a serious note we had a really lovely time.

We spent some time at a loveley wedding in Westmeath, I thought I could drink, clearly not compared to some lol.

I've been to the North many times the past 30 years and was in Belfast a few months back, again a City on the up.

If you haven't been to Ireland, I would highly recommend you go.

Just come back from a few days in the ROI and Dublin. Hadn't been to Dublin for about 30 years. Iast time I was there I remember thinking the City centre was quite small, not much bigger than Manchester, may have just been my impression. This time it seems alot bigger and had clearly grown in the last 30 years. Like last time it was and still is a very welcoming place to visit although a tad expensive at 7 euros for a pint of Smithwicks, more in Temple Bar apparently. Seemed much more touristy than last time. Sadly I was a bit shocked at the amount of homeless people begging , seemed to me that there were many more than in Manchester and London. The standard of busking needs to improve aswell as there were some pretty awful singers on show. But on a serious note we had a really lovely time.

We spent some time at a loveley wedding in Westmeath, I thought I could drink, clearly not compared to some lol.

I've been to the North many times the past 30 years and was in Belfast a few months back, again a City on the up.

If you haven't been to Ireland, I would highly recommend you go.
I agree about the homeless..
Particularly on the north side of the river.
There was a discussion about Temple Bar earlier in the summer and yes it is a dear kip, but it is buzzing. That’s the best you can say about it really.
I’ve seen some dodgy buskers on Henry Street, some decent too, but mainly over the Grafton Street area.

Glad you enjoyed yourself anyway. You should at least get a decent welcome. Anyone who doesn’t, I always consider it a failure on our part.

Can only echo pretty much everything you've said about Dublin, and have been a good few times over the last 10 years.

Temple bar is a huge tourist attraction, but most bars are now laden with stag/hen parties, which I've no problem with having been on one myself there, but does then take away the authenticity of the City.

Went to Belfast less than a month ago and found it to be quite the opposite. Seemed nice and quiet, with more more of a local atmosphere about it. Found a few lovely restaurants for evening meals, and couldn't recommend the Duke of York enough for a pint of the black stuff and an even better atmosphere.

Give over.

"Are ye roight there Anto?"

Does anywhere else in the world use Anto as a shortened form of Anthony, by the way? I've never heard anything other than Tony, apart from in Dublin.
Anto
Damo
Stano
Rayo
Tommo…. Look at my own moniker.

Carroler
Doyler
Flynner
Marzer

Bottler.

And your point is?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.