Emirates FA Cup Changes Ahead of 2024/25:

I'm assuming they know something we don't about the schedule for the new CL format starting next year.

Remember the group stage is 10 matches not 6 so I imagine everything will get pushed a few weeks later.

The group stages from next season are 8 games not 10. The 6 current slots, plus 2 more after Christmas.

Do UEFA dictate how places are given?

The FA cup runners up are guaranteed a EL place if the winner has qualified for the CL, whereas the Carabao Cup losers are not.

This suggests it’s an FA decision, rather than a UEFA one.

I’m pretty sure I’ve read that while UEFA don’t totally dictate how individual countries allocate their places, there is pretty strict criteria to which they must adhere to.

It’s a secondary point anyway. Nobody with even an outside chance of relegation come January is going to risk losing their Premier League place for a fanciful shot at the FA Cup. No matter what the reward.

No one outside the Premier League has any sort of realistic chance of winning it. So it’s not going to change their thinking.

And they’ll be two or three clubs most seasons who will probably think they are nailed on for Champions League qualification through the league if they give it their full attention.

So you’re left with maybe a handful of clubs in the upper middle part of the Premier League who may take it slightly more seriously with an extra incentive for winning it.

I’m pretty sure I’ve read that while UEFA don’t totally dictate how individual countries allocate their places, there is pretty strict criteria to which they must adhere to.

It’s a secondary point anyway. Nobody with even an outside chance of relegation come January is going to risk losing their Premier League place for a fanciful shot at the FA Cup. No matter what the reward.

No one outside the Premier League has any sort of realistic chance of winning it. So it’s not going to change their thinking.

And they’ll be two or three clubs most seasons who will probably think they are nailed on for Champions League qualification through the league if they give it their full attention.

So you’re left with maybe a handful of clubs in the upper middle part of the Premier League who may take it slightly more seriously with an extra incentive for winning it.
That’s how it may pan out, but any side in the PL can beat another on a given day, so for clubs like Palace, Everton etc, the carrot of £75m CL money would mean they’d not rotate so heavily and bring more competition. Especially if the top 2/3 know they’ll be in the CL anyway and they can rotate more as a result.

It could also create a dare to dream philosophy.

It’s never going to happen though, sadly.

should swap,it roind make the 1st qualifying round prem only then the 2nd prem, champiomship and league 1 & 2, 3rd add national league.

by the first round proper most top 4 division clubs are gone, hopefully most prem teams then, let the non-league join from 2nd rnd on.

This concerns me.

The FA Cup is the traditional end of season closer. It looks like the PL have decided the league will be instead.
It's a bad idea IMHO. Cup Finalists in contention for the PL title or a CL place or in a relegation battle may well field a weakened team. It already happens with the semis due to CL games often in close proximity. This will further devalue the Cup. Having the Final as the season closer avoids that and it confirms that the PL is pulling the strings.

I don't like messing with tradition but this sort of thing has been coming ever since the rags were allowed to sit one FA Cup out - respect dwindled from then on.

On the other hand I can see when we have Rodri complaining he is shagged out in March you can see that there are too many games these days.

My suggestion is stick FFP up your arse and allow clubs to assemble squads in sufficient numbers and of sufficient quality so they are equipped to play Saturday/Wednesday all year round which is where you are looking to take the game for maximum £££££ - or $$$$$$$$ for an increasing number of club owners

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.