England U21

LoveCity

When was the last time we had a player in the England U21 team? We used to have a few but with a dry spell in our academy, it seems like ages. Last I can remember was Alex Nimely being called up then dropping out due to injury (story of his career).

We are always having them called up at younger groups, but the U21 team is the last step to the senior team and it would be nice if some could get a call-up.

Hiwula, Evans, Facey, Leigh and Glendon are five players at the age where they could be called up, but none seem close at the moment. Only one has been playing senior football lately (Leigh who has been in and out of the Crewe side), soon be be two (Hiwula), and that is probably a factor. I really thought Evans could have pushed on to this level by now, but he's back playing reserve football for us instead of in the Football League.

A little younger you have Gunn, Bryan, Smith-Brown, Barker, Boadu, Adarabioyo and some others who seem to be regularly called up for the younger groups so hopefully some of those make the U21 side in future.

The next squad:

Goalkeepers: Jonathan Bond (Watford), Jack Butland (Stoke City), Sam Johnstone (Manchester United).

Defenders: Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Garbutt (Everton), Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough), Carl Jenkinson (West Ham United, on loan from Arsenal), Michael Keane (Burnley, on loan from Manchester United), Jamaal Lascelles (Nottingham Forest, on loan from Newcastle United), Liam Moore (Leicester City), Luke Shaw (Manchester United).

Midfielders: Lewis Baker (Chelsea), Tom Carroll (Swansea City, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Jake Forster-Caskey (Brighton & Hove Albion), Will Hughes (Derby County), Thomas Ince (Hull City), Alex Pritchard (Brentford, on loan from Tottenham Hotspur), Nathan Redmond (Norwich City).

Forwards: Patrick Bamford (Middlesbrough, on loan from Chelsea), Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Cauley Woodrow (Fulham).

Looking at the strikers,with the exception maybe of the Fulham lad,they all have decent level experience,however,i's like to think Devante wasn't too far from the selectors thoughts.

Facey has made the u20 squad but I don't see him progressing any higher.

Gunn,although 18,might think himself unlucky.

Forgot all about Devante, he must be pretty close to consideration, probably the closest in fact. He hasn't scored in 3 games for Barnsley but I don't think he's playing as a traditional striker for them? Transfermarkt have him as a left winger in their most recent game (3-0 loss to Swindon).

LoveCity said:
Forgot all about Devante, he must be pretty close to consideration, probably the closest in fact. He hasn't scored in 3 games for Barnsley but I don't think he's playing as a traditional striker for them? Transfermarkt have him as a left winger in their most recent game (3-0 loss to Swindon).

I think he plays in a style very similar to Welbeck,i'm not sure he can quite achieve that level,however,he's developed terrifically over the last 12 months and is definitely in with a shout.

For some very odd reason,he has also been overlooked at u20 level.

The competition........

•Rolando Aarons
•Chuba Akpom
•Jordon Ibe
•Christopher Long
•Josh Murphy
•Callum Robinson
•Kwame Thomas

Read more at <a class="postlink" href="http://www.thefa.com/england/youth-teams#GbDiXdh61uPzB9X5.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thefa.com/england/youth-team ... uPzB9X5.99</a>

A loan spell at a Championship club should improve Cole's chances of a U-21 call up. No surprises at U-20 level as it is Aidy Boothroyd in charge.

Tbh I think the u21 team is quite strong right now, I don't think our players have as much experience as a lot of them. Maybe the next batch will make it into the England team

In my opinion it's pretty tough to make the U21 because some of the players start for prem clubs ex. Kane, Berahino, and Shaw. It's tough for our players because their usually loaned out to League one squad not a Championship squad. We need players to get loan deals to lower side Championship squads to even be considered for England u21. It's also tough because Premier League lower sides like newly promoted ones and middle table sides have young players included in their first team and so their noticed early than our's because we play at League one level mostly. For this to happen we need to loan out players to Lower Championship sides in hope of making the u21 team. We also need to give them a sub apperance in Cup in order to see a run out of them on a big stage.If we included some high end english players like cole and hiwula during a training session it might catch the eye of some Championship clubs in order for them to get noticed easily. Thats why were building this wonderful academy for this to happen.

EllisMCFC said:
In my opinion it's pretty tough to make the U21 because some of the players start for prem clubs ex. Kane, Berahino, and Shaw. It's tough for our players because their usually loaned out to League one squad not a Championship squad. We need players to get loan deals to lower side Championship squads to even be considered for England u21. It's also tough because Premier League lower sides like newly promoted ones and middle table sides have young players included in their first team and so their noticed early than our's because we play at League one level mostly. For this to happen we need to loan out players to Lower Championship sides in hope of making the u21 team. We also need to give them a sub apperance in Cup in order to see a run out of them on a big stage.If we included some high end english players like cole and hiwula during a training session it might catch the eye of some Championship clubs in order for them to get noticed easily. Thats why were building this wonderful academy for this to happen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.