English managers

It's not English managers per se, it's the type of English manager. Potter's not doing too badly, for instance. Dyche is hanging in there. It's dinosaurs like Bruce and Allardyce who are the problem.
It's the chairmen and CEOs that keep giving them more chances you mean. There's probably a fair few Potters in the lower leagues and managing academy teams but these fuckers are too lazy to scout for them and too cowardly to give them a shot. Even Potter made his name in big cup games before anyone above league 1 would take a chance on him, every other British manager to get a PL job in the last decade has done it by getting promoted afaik. Last before Potter was Hughton at Newcastle I believe. In Spain and Germany once you've been sacked a few times you're out of the picture.

For a variety of reasons, the game's becoming increasingly tactical by the year.

England has for a long time been behind the times tactically. Many managers are still using a strategy of winning second balls from clearances that was developed before most of us were born. Players are still used for their individual qualities as opposed to their team qualities. Defenders are there to make blocks, strikers are there to score goals. Wingers are there to beat the man and cross and fullbacks are there to prevent such things. It's not necessarily wrong but it's rather dated.

It's not just managers, it's the culture. Listen to the pundits. Read the papers. Read these and other forums. It's so outdated.

We're fortunate at City to have had managers in recent years that are tactically switched on enough that we can see up close and learn from.

I should say all the older ideas are still very important, such as technique, mentality, and fitness. But tactics are way more important than ever. A well drilled side with good tactics has a much higher ceiling than one without. But a well drilled side with a bad attitude and poor fitness is just as bad as any other side in a similar boat.

It's the chairmen and CEOs that keep giving them more chances you mean. There's probably a fair few Potters in the lower leagues and managing academy teams but these fuckers are too lazy to scout for them and too cowardly to give them a shot. Even Potter made his name in big cup games before anyone above league 1 would take a chance on him, every other British manager to get a PL job in the last decade has done it by getting promoted afaik. Last before Potter was Hughton at Newcastle I believe. In Spain and Germany once you've been sacked a few times you're out of the picture.
Did Potter not manage abroad and was highly rated or have I dreamt that up

For a variety of reasons, the game's becoming increasingly tactical by the year.

England has for a long time been behind the times tactically. Many managers are still using a strategy of winning second balls from clearances that was developed before most of us were born. Players are still used for their individual qualities as opposed to their team qualities. Defenders are there to make blocks, strikers are there to score goals. Wingers are there to beat the man and cross and fullbacks are there to prevent such things. It's not necessarily wrong but it's rather dated.

It's not just managers, it's the culture. Listen to the pundits. Read the papers. Read these and other forums. It's so outdated.

We're fortunate at City to have had managers in recent years that are tactically switched on enough that we can see up close and learn from.

I should say all the older ideas are still very important, such as technique, mentality, and fitness. But tactics are way more important than ever. A well drilled side with good tactics has a much higher ceiling than one without. But a well drilled side with a bad attitude and poor fitness is just as bad as any other side in a similar boat.
You just have to listen to any co commentators they still don’t get playing out from the back they are all row z merchants

Did Potter not manage abroad and was highly rated or have I dreamt that up
Yeah got Ostersund from amateur level to Europe in 6 or 7 years, that got him the chance at Swansea and some high profile cup ties at both got him the Brighton job.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.