Etihad atmosphere

Despite the media trying to shove it down our throats I have heard that West Hams stadium i deadly silent at times. All the old boys have lost each other in this sea of tourists and cheap ticket grabbers. My mate said the stadium is great but the atmosphere it creates isnt the best

The volume in the stadium has dropped off, but hell I enjoyed watching that and loved the crowds appreciation of what was being served up. Sometimes it is just as good to sit and take it all in, some of the moves we created needed to be applauded rather than shout crap at the opposing supporters
I feel exactly the same way. I'm a city fan from the 70's when there was singing and chanting etc., but we never got served up such skilfull football.exciting, cut and thrust etc., but the skill these days( it's like eleven Rodney marsh's.i, too am mesmerised and enjoy the game.leave it to the young ones to sing if they want.

Look,your all pretty much deluded if you think the atmosphere is great..most of the time the silence is deafening.for the record..the old standing kippax for the majority of the time was like the 12th man.maybe the truth hurts.I've accepted it's shit most of the time.people just don't join in anymore.it's not just at City..it's all over the new stadiums.
I don't think the atmosphere is great at all, though It was OK on Sunday - it's been far worse - at least we were louder than the Bubbles band. What really gets my goat is this nostalgia for a time that never was. Rags and rivalries aside (e.g. Liverpool, Everton, Leeds) it has always required the team to excite us to get the crowd going. Even in the days of the standing Kippax this was the case.

Where do you sit?

J Stand at Old Trafford by the sounds of it!

IMO the atmosphere on Sunday was markedly better than the Sunderland game the other week. There seemed to be a lot of nervousness amongst fans coupled with some still perhaps being in a post-Pellegrini slumber. Add in the fact that the Sunderland fans were bang on form and made a proper racket, and you had a pefect storm where the away fans outsang us for long periods.

Sunday was different in the South Stand. The fans were up for it from the off with loads of different chants starting and not always from the back either. 110-111 corner were giving it a good go too but we still have an issue where 114-115-116 can't fully hear 110-111 and vice versa so sometimes there were 2 different songs going at once. There's also the ongoing issue with acoustics where people in other areas of the ground can't properly hear what's being sung in the South Stand, plus SS3 and SS1 can't always hear each other either. However, on Sunday there was also one chant that started off over in 117-118-119 and carried over the whole of the South Stand which is a big positive - the more fans in the less vocal areas that can get things going the better.

All in all, from my own perspective - and I appreciate others will feel differently because of where they sit - it was probably close to being the best atmosphere since the Chelsea home game last season. It was by no means perfect and it could of course be better but there are people continuing to put a lot of time and effort into trying to improve things though it requires more people to join in of course.

A word about away games - I see lots on here saying they're bang on for atmosphere and while that can sometimes be the case it's not every game. Even Stoke last week - it was great in parts but there were still too many quiet moments. It's easy to out-sing the Stoke fans when we're 3-1 and 4-1 up in the dying minutes when most of their lot have cleared off out of the stadium. Not only that, what you often get at away games is a bouncing atmosphere on the concourse which doesn't get carried into the stands. This curious case of concourse singers suddenly losing their ability to sing once they've taken their seats continues to baffle me. I would add that the Stoke fans weren't all that either - not much from them while it was 0-0, quite a bit from them when they got it back to 2-1 as you would expect, but this notion that theirs is one of the loudest grounds in the league doesn't ring true anymore. It's nowhere near as loud and intimidating as it was when they came up in 2008 and for a few seasons afterwards.

I don't think the atmosphere is great at all, though It was OK on Sunday - it's been far worse - at least we were louder than the Bubbles band. What really gets my goat is this nostalgia for a time that never was. Rags and rivalries aside (e.g. Liverpool, Everton, Leeds) it has always required the team to excite us to get the crowd going. Even in the days of the standing Kippax this was the case.

Agree to a point, 2 of the best atmospheres I remember at Maine Road were midweek games against Norwich and Millwall in KK's promotion season when we won despite being down to 10 men early on, but I still remember being 3 nil up against Sunderland and them easily outsinging us (& plenty of other flat atmospheres at the old ground).
The idea that Maine Road was always a buzzing cauldron of noise is simply false, made by those that must either not have been there often or those that are suffering memory failure

J Stand at Old Trafford by the sounds of it!

IMO the atmosphere on Sunday was markedly better than the Sunderland game the other week. There seemed to be a lot of nervousness amongst fans coupled with some still perhaps being in a post-Pellegrini slumber. Add in the fact that the Sunderland fans were bang on form and made a proper racket, and you had a pefect storm where the away fans outsang us for long periods.

Sunday was different in the South Stand. The fans were up for it from the off with loads of different chants starting and not always from the back either. 110-111 corner were giving it a good go too but we still have an issue where 114-115-116 can't fully hear 110-111 and vice versa so sometimes there were 2 different songs going at once. There's also the ongoing issue with acoustics where people in other areas of the ground can't properly hear what's being sung in the South Stand, plus SS3 and SS1 can't always hear each other either. However, on Sunday there was also one chant that started off over in 117-118-119 and carried over the whole of the South Stand which is a big positive - the more fans in the less vocal areas that can get things going the better.

All in all, from my own perspective - and I appreciate others will feel differently because of where they sit - it was probably close to being the best atmosphere since the Chelsea home game last season. It was by no means perfect and it could of course be better but there are people continuing to put a lot of time and effort into trying to improve things though it requires more people to join in of course.

A word about away games - I see lots on here saying they're bang on for atmosphere and while that can sometimes be the case it's not every game. Even Stoke last week - it was great in parts but there were still too many quiet moments. It's easy to out-sing the Stoke fans when we're 3-1 and 4-1 up in the dying minutes when most of their lot have cleared off out of the stadium. Not only that, what you often get at away games is a bouncing atmosphere on the concourse which doesn't get carried into the stands. This curious case of concourse singers suddenly losing their ability to sing once they've taken their seats continues to baffle me. I would add that the Stoke fans weren't all that either - not much from them while it was 0-0, quite a bit from them when they got it back to 2-1 as you would expect, but this notion that theirs is one of the loudest grounds in the league doesn't ring true anymore. It's nowhere near as loud and intimidating as it was when they came up in 2008 and for a few seasons afterwards.
Great post! Agree completely.

Look,your all pretty much deluded if you think the atmosphere is great..most of the time the silence is deafening.for the record..the old standing kippax for the majority of the time was like the 12th man.maybe the truth hurts.I've accepted it's shit most of the time.people just don't join in anymore.it's not just at City..it's all over the new stadiums.
Firstly, he never said the atmosphere was great, his exact words were 'pretty good on Sunday'. Secondly, you're posts on here come across as though you're having a go at other City fans or you're complaining that the atmosphere isn't as good as your hazy recollection of the kippax, so my question is 'what are you doing about it'? Are you trying to improve it yourself? Or are you just going to judge the fans in the South Stand who bother to try and get it going, whilst you sit there, upon your high horse, scoffing your prawn sandwich on your comfy padded seat?

Not read all this thread but on talkshite last week West Ham fans were calling in, and incidentally, the moose backed this up, saying that since the move to the Olympic stadium the atmosphere had been lost. Obviously the fans had been split, probably similar to our move from Maine Road, and they reckon it'll be a while before they get the balance right!
Good luck there boys!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.