Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought we rented it off the council and due to the funding for building, buying it was too complicated

It is something like that but it costs us pennies in reality something like 3 million a year. Nothing - and we can do what we want to it. The reason is wasn't knocked down is that it would not have looked good knocking down a lottery funded 100 million pound stadium after 12 years. Nothing more than that.

It is something like that but it costs us pennies in reality something like 3 million a year. Nothing - and we can do what we want to it. The reason is wasn't knocked down is that it would not have looked good knocking down a lottery funded 100 million pound stadium after 12 years. Nothing more than that.
Yeah i guess it wouldn't but Spurs wanted to knock the Olympic Stadium down after this year and that was an £800 million tax payer funded stadium. I guess though nobody gives spurs bad press

According David Bernstein at a forum at Portcullis House, Westminster in January 2003, MCFC have an option to purchase under the lease, with the rent we pay set off against the price calculated under the purchase formula (I believe that the amount shown as owing under the notional finance lease in the accounts broadly equates to the current amount it would take to exercise the option). At that time, Bernstein suggested that it would take at least three decades for this to be economically viable. Obviously, the advent of ADUG would make it feasible for us to acquire the freehold now if we wanted. Informed noises suggest that the reason we haven't done so is because, as things stand, the rent is paid to the Council but, if we bought the freehold, the purchase price would largely go to Sport England in repayment for lottery funding; MCFC are reluctant to, in effect, shaft MCC and benefit Sport England instead.

I'm told by a source you'd definitely consider reliable that, when they took us over, ADUG were keen to build a state-of-the-art new stadium. However, Sport England wouldn't countenance CoMS (as it then was) being demolished. I believe that City investigated the possibility of taking out the bottom tier, squeezing in a track again, and cponfiguring the stadium for rugby/athletics/concerts, before concluding that it wasn't a workable solution in terms of cost/benefit.

I think that was a shame, but I can see why they decided that. I'd have loved to see MCFC playing in a fabulous new 75K football stadium on the north car parks while Sale Sharks shared a community stadium next door with MCFC youth, reserves and women's teams, with maybe RL and top athletics events over the summer. Not to be, regrettably.

PS - As for Spurs knocking down the Olympic Stadium, that was never really a runner. Boris Johnson's office encouraged their bid to do that to make sure West Ham weren't the only credible applicant. Spurs realised later that they'd been used and were rather pissed off with it, but were placated by mayoral support for aspects of their current project that had previously proved controversial (e.g funding for transport improvements that the club was previously told it would have to pay for).

Do you think there is a chance we could build a new stadium? The way the collar site has gone so quiet, the poor finish on the south stand, the lack of news on any possible expansion on the NS, could that point towards them considering a totally new amazing stadium. The owners have never done things by halves, especially when you look around the world at things they do.

Last year I was very lucky to be invited to the Abu Dhabi grand prix. A magnificent venue, and in many people eyes the finest grand prix venue in the world.

During the visit I met with one of the leading architects that had worked on the circuit. When he found out I was a City fan, he said his company had just finished a design. A state of the art football stadium with a minimum capacity of 75,000 and in his words "simply beautiful" and like nothing seen before. I asked who had commissioned the stadium, to which he just smiled.

He would not reveal any more info....sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.