Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
90 yes, but 180 would be just as pointless.
It's already oriented at the recommended angle for new stadiums.
When planning the orientation of the pitch, the primary consideration is its position in relation to the sun and prevailing wind. In Europe, a north-south orientation is generally considered best, as it means that, in the evening, the setting sun will not hinder the vision of one team more than the other.

How would you adapt the stadium?

If somehow City could get to build a new stadium whilst converting the existing ground to an athletics stadium part then that would be worth pursuing. But don;t see how our ground is now suitable for an athletics venue. Could it be reverse engineered so that you add back the earth to the original level and then relay the track. Seems wasteful but I suppose less so than building a completely new venue.

Even if it's possible, do we want to wait 5 years for a new stadium?

There'll be a lot of protests from Brum and Liverpool if we're put forward ahead of them, but in a time of austerity then it'll be down to who needs least government funding. I understand that the Liverpool bid is quite heavily reliant on money for central government. Not sure about Brum - they have a 15K athletics stadium to which it might be possible to add extra seats (probably temporary), while you could hold opening and closing ceremonies at Villa Park.

As for Manchester, you'd have the opening and closing ceremonies at our place, but even if it were technically possible to convert it in a similar way to Hampden, the Hampden conversion out the stadium out of action for football for a year. It didn't matter in that case because Glasgow's major clubs don't play there, but we'll hardly go to Old Trafford for a year.

I suppose we could use the opportunity to build a new stadium, with the current one being converted for the Games and then used by Sale RU afterwards. That wasn't thought viable when considered a few years ago, but if some public money were granted for the conversion, perhaps it might change. However, I thought the point was to keep all MCFC facilities together; with the CFA sited where it is and the recently published Eastlands Regeneration Framework suggesting other plans for the rest of the site, the adjacent locations for another big stadium that might have been available a few years ago now no longer are. This would be a great option for MCFC in my view, but I'm afraid I don't see it happening.

More likely, I think, is that they'd use temporary seating for a new athletics arena, scaling it back after the Games and keeping it as a replacement for the Regional Athletics Arena next to our stadium. However, rather than doing that, I prefer the idea someone proposed above of Liverpool and Manchester sharing the Games. Let Liverpool host athletics (with the stadium then converted to serve as a new ground for Everton if terms can be worked out), while we'll host events they don't have facilities for but we do and thus minimise any drain on the public purse.

Imagine if we converted it back for Athletics and built a new super-ground,

Realistically if anything happens Everton will gain on the deal which would be a shame.

In this day and age an event like the commonwealth games should be shared between several cities if such a thing is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.