False 9

As many have said, it's a false 9 because the player is nominally lined up as a striker but doesn't take up the positions of a striker. It's particularly effective against teams whose CBs want to hold a deep line because it gives the player space in front of those CBs to cause problems. Sound like anyone we're about to play? In all seriousness it would be an interesting choice versus a United team that doesn't want to push its CBs forward and break the line but are likely to have 2 holding midfielders as well so the space may not be there. However, it might force those holding mids to choose between following/marking Silva/KDB or, say, Nasri in a false 9 position.

Personally I don't think we're drilled well enough in the Pep concepts yet that he'll start doing all of his formation voodoo. But it's magnificent to have a manager who you know will consider it and for real footballing reasons.

KDB is the best at the false 9. You must be able to make final passes and score at that position. KDB's finishing ability sets him apart. Nolito is also okay here but not sure about his final passes.

You clearly don't actually have a clue what a false 9 is so I'm amazed you can feel so strongly about it.

Messi scored 73 goals in 2011/12 playing as a false 9. It's nothing to do with not scoring goals.

It's about having a player who nominally lines up as striker, but who drops deeper - forcing the centrebacks to follow him, which then leaves acres of room for supporting players to run in behind - or stay where they are, giving the false 9 space in between the lines of defence and attack in which to create.

It's not that complex a concept, and you literally just have to google it to find out. There's been more than enough articles about the concept since Pep brought it back into the game in 2009.

It's not that I don't have a clue - my issue is that it is a term that is now thown around so loosely and applied to so many players as to make it completely worthless.

It's not that I don't have a clue - my issue is that it is a term that is now thown around so loosely and applied to so many players as to make it completely worthless.

People misusing the phrase doesn't make it worthless.

The defining characteristic is still there and the term has a specific meaning. Just because the Jamie Redknapp's of this world fail to grasp the English language, it doesn't detract from any meaning of the language itself.

It's not a pointless discussion, it's a valid point about our potential use of a specific role within a specific system and whether or not any of our players could carry it out effectively.

Delph.
You were going well, until Delph ;-)

I think we have a host of players who could play the role, including Aguero, should Pep choose to use it but Delph would be well down on list.

I don't agree that Sterling isn't intelligent enough to play the role yet; at least I don't think we know but Pep would. Sterling seems a bright boy to me and one who would be capable of learning quickly from Pep.

Nasri, Nolito, KDB, Silva, Sane, Nacho and Yaya could all do it too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.