Favourite CL Group Stage game

Prestwich_Blue

Wednesday night will be our 78th and final group stage game in the CL, as the competition moves to the 'Swiss' format next season. So which one has been your most memorable?

A few that you might remember:

2013/14 Bayern 2-3 City - James Milner's finest hour
2014/15 City 3-2 Bayern - Sergio's two late goals
2015/16 City 4-2 Borussia Moenchengladbach - three late goals to come back from 2-1 down
2016/17 City 3-1 Barcelona - goals from Ilkay & Kev against a side with Messi, Suarez & Neymar
2017/18 Napoli 2-4 City - Sergio becomes our record goalscorer
2021/22 City 2-1 PSG

Personally it was the 3-1 against Barca for me. That was the night I knew we were good enough to eventually win the CL.

Barcelona for me. That was one of those goosbump nights when you knew we'd gone up a level.

As an aside I 'm glad we are having these discussions. I used to absolutely hate that attitude amongst some of our fans where they used to call it the chumps league and say they weren't bothered. It was so small-minded and parochial and it made me cringe.

Overall Barca one but biggest celebration was the 3-2 Bayern at home. 2 late goals
That one didn't quite have the same feeling for me because, if I remember rightly, they outplayed us for most of the game with 10 men. It was Pep I assume. They were passing us to death like we do now.

Barcelona for me. That was one of those goosbump nights when you knew we'd gone up a level.

As an aside I 'm glad we are having these discussions. I used to absolutely hate that attitude amongst some of our fans where they used to call it the chumps league and say they weren't bothered. It was so small-minded and parochial and it made me cringe.
I don’t think the competition is as grand as it was. There’s three European trophies now but finishing fifth in the Premier League might allow qualification next season. “Champions” League.

There’s the rules, the corporate feel to it and even things like the experience Blues in Istanbul had last season. I’ve heard nightmare stories that would’ve taken the shine off it for me.

Nevertheless, beating Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.