FC Basel V Manchester City - Post-Match Thread

I like the way the basel attackers kept shitting themselves when eddy was running at them.

I think we’re really Starting to build a fear factor. Just need to win trophies now!

City players passed a 781 pass of 868 passes with a 90% success rate.

DV8lZSgWsAo1V4T

Could've done better though according to some;-)

We got lucky with the pen but I still think that we would have won, even if it had been awarded and they scored it.
Regarding the good chances that they had, they didn't take them, so that is their misfortune.
With the exception of the De Bruyne /Gundogan goal, the others were not easy to score. I thought that Sergio's goal and Gundogan's 2nd were fabulous strikes.
Basel tried their best to shut us out of their
box, which they did,
but they couldn't deal with our shooting from distance.
In the end some of their players were roughing us up because they weren't as skilful and didn't like being dominated at their own ground.
So I say, we were the best team last night, deserved to win, and anyone who can fault our performance needs to give their head a wobble!

Did they?

PSGs speed of attack would run right past Vinny . He has lost what little pace he had and like last night defends by placing his shoulder in the oponents ribs. He would have a yellow card in the first 5 minutes and be a major weak link. The last few games he has played has had attackers pressing him as his distribution is suspect. Unfortunately for our leader he is now 4th choice as a CB.
I just don't agree that Vinnie could ever have been described as having little pace. Playing every week, one of Vinnie's strengths was his straight line pace - I've seen him match Messi step for step when other centre backs would have been yards behind.

But that's not the point I'm making. Against Bayern, Barca, and Madrid, we're going to have to walk through fire - the ball will be pinging around our box and we'll have to keep our shape and put everything on the line. We get no Prem practice in dealing with serious sustained wave after wave of attacks from world class players. Madrid are not averse to the over the top long ball. Vinnie controls the back four, forces us into shape and certainly keeps Ota on some sort of invisible leash (always looks better alongside Vinnie). But yes, he hasn't had much match time with our current full backs. However, he's battle hardened.

Not sentiment, but sometimes we're just going to have to clear the ball out to relieve pressure.

BTW - I can't see PSG pulling things round. Their front two cost nearly as much as our entire team. He turns away laughing .......

I just don't agree that Vinnie could ever have been described as having little pace. Playing every week, one of Vinnie's strengths was his straight line pace - I've seen him match Messi step for step when other centre backs would have been yards behind.

But that's not the point I'm making. Against Bayern, Barca, and Madrid, we're going to have to walk through fire - the ball will be pinging around our box and we'll have to keep our shape and put everything on the line. We get no Prem practice in dealing with serious sustained wave after wave of attacks from world class players. Madrid are not averse to the over the top long ball. Vinnie controls the back four, forces us into shape and certainly keeps Ota on some sort of invisible leash (always looks better alongside Vinnie). But yes, he hasn't had much match time with our current full backs. However, he's battle hardened.

Not sentiment, but sometimes we're just going to have to clear the ball out to relieve pressure.

BTW - I can't see PSG pulling things round. Their front two cost nearly as much as our entire team. He turns away laughing .......

What vinnie does well isn't the problem. He has picked up most of his yellow cards for 'blocking' players that were about to leave him for dead. He is the weakest on the ball when playing out and the opposition target him by pressing but standing off the others a little encouraging us to pass it to Vinnie and then they attack him. The way we play we cannot afford a centre back with these weaknesses to play in games against teams with fast attackers and midfield. I want to remember Vinnie as the Vinnie of 2 seasons ago and not as the new Mangala.

just got home from the Game.
(2am Thursday lol)
what a performance from City and have to mention the Basel fans Epic, thrashed and were still singing after the teams had left the pitch.
Great euro away.
I couldn’t agree more mate but I’d like to give a special mention to the Basel Police as well. Friendly, accommodating and certainly not in your face.

What a pity Police in some other countries seem to find it impossible to treat you like anything other than an animal.

I couldn’t agree more mate but I’d like to give a special mention to the Basel Police as well. Friendly, accommodating and certainly not in your face.

What a pity Police in some other countries seem to find it impossible to treat you like anything other than an animal.

Quite agree with the policing very low profile. Great trip ,still hungover and just landed in Lanzarote for another 7 days of alcohol abuse. Oh well back in 7 days for a quiet weekend. Wife’s birthday and Wembley ,,,,

Quite agree with the policing very low profile. Great trip ,still hungover and just landed in Lanzarote for another 7 days of alcohol abuse. Oh well back in 7 days for a quiet weekend. Wife’s birthday and Wembley ,,,,
Oh dear. I feel very sorry for myself getting back late last night. You deserve a medal, good luck.

What vinnie does well isn't the problem. He has picked up most of his yellow cards for 'blocking' players that were about to leave him for dead. He is the weakest on the ball when playing out and the opposition target him by pressing but standing off the others a little encouraging us to pass it to Vinnie and then they attack him. The way we play we cannot afford a centre back with these weaknesses to play in games against teams with fast attackers and midfield. I want to remember Vinnie as the Vinnie of 2 seasons ago and not as the new Mangala.
Interesting. Vinnie initially joined us as a holding midfielder - passing the ball well is an essential part of that position. While opening up the opposition with a killer pass is not his strength, his short passing game is ok.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.